ad: M2Ant-1

HR2.0 - Ham Radio Balloon Launch | APRS Antenna, Ham Radio Repeater

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Aug 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4YNZ

K4YNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Now I know why the techs at GD were so sharp! Space aliens. LOL I wonder if NASA have space aliens stashed in Huntsville?

M1WML likes this.
  2. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Neither round nor flat. Flat Earth theory considered outdated. Newest measurements say the Earth is convex.

You may think I'm joking (I really do) but there are people who honestly believe the Earth is convex; just google it for fun.

KQ1V and M1WML like this.
  3. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

§ 29.1-556.1

B. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any (i) balloon released (a) by or on behalf of any agency of the Commonwealth or the United States or (b) pursuant to a contract with the Commonwealth, the United States, or any other state, territory, or government for scientific or meteorological purposes or (ii) hot air balloon that is recovered after launch.

Seems to me the FCC is an agency of the United States. ;)

I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express.

Just to prove how stupid Virginia is here is paragraph A.

It is unlawful for any individual 16 years of age or older or other person to intentionally release, discard, or cause to be released or discarded outdoors any balloon made of a nonbiodegradable or nonphotodegradable material or any material that requires more than five minutes' contact with air or water to degrade.

Uh, that deflates the purpose of an item meant to hold air

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    KK4VRE, KX4O, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  4. K0BZ

K0BZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks a bunch for posting this. 53 years a ham and never witnessed this aspect of the hobby until now. Great video!

M1WML likes this.
  5. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to see the real thing. Great.
    73 JF1IRQ

M1WML likes this.
  6. KK4VRE

KK4VRE Ham Member QRZ Page

Good job, real nice ...Would have been even nicer with just a little geek data thrown in (for those of us who like to chart stuff on Google Earth) -

Exact release point of balloon package: 33°18'7.99"N 96°59'46.35"W (at roughly 656' AMSL)
    Exact recovery point of balloon package: 33°18'9.54"N 97°17'15.80"W (at roughly 783' AMSL)
    Exact point-to-point distance (minus balloon meanderings): 16.869 miles (almost dead west from launch site)
    Exact departure point of recovery caravan: 33°18'7.81"N 96°59'45.23"W (Aubrey Middle School property)
    Exact first full-stop end point of recovery caravan: 33°17'49.18"N 97°16'31.00"W ("Bedrock Production, LLC" gate ...'make the call')
    Assumed last full-stop end point of recovery in a vehicle: 33°18'7.07"N 97°17'3.63"W (on vehicle path in pasture)
    Assumed distance by foot from vehicle stoppage in field to retrieve balloon package: 1,062' (at a 333.4 degree heading and 125' from pasture feed dispenser)
    Near exact distance traveled to recover balloon package: 25.316 miles (entire vehicle road route and walking)
    Ultimate package AMSL altitude achieved: U N K N O W N (BTW - 90,000' in altitude is not "6 or 7 miles" [said at 10:26 in the video], but is actually 17.0454545 miles in altitude)
    ...Bezo reached 66.5 miles (for Aerophysics space is 62.137 miles AMSL/ for Astrophysics space is 73.321 miles AMSL); the "Service Ceiling" for the highest flying commercial airliner is 43,100', while some business jets hit 51,000'.
    Total weight (including balloon) of payload: U N K N O W N
    Cubic feet of hydrogen used to loft the package: U N K N O W N

73 (QTH only 48.5 miles south of your launch in Cedar Hill, TX)

KC5HWB and M1WML like this.
  7. KK4VRE

Pressure your representatives to amend the law (happens all the time) to reflect exceptions such as scientific experimentations.

M1WML likes this.
  8. KK4VRE

Actually, at 90,000' AMSL one would indeed be able to see the curvature of the Earth (although evident, it would still be slight). In addition, you would easily experience the dark band of space in the distance, even at just 17 miles up.
    Unfortunately, I don't think this balloon made it that high. I wish they posted the telemetry from the launch.

9. KK4VRE

...and that is just 1 of the 409 evidentiary paths for the Earth being a Geocentric Equipotential Ellipsoid [GEOD].
    The Earth is not a true "sphere", but at 99.83242008% of a perfect sphere is EXTREMELY close. (The differential between the polar circumference and the equatorial circumference is just 41.73 miles)

I think 'Flat Earthers' got their group mental defect resurgence from that movie "Capricorn One" back in 1977.

M1WML likes this.
  10. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As long as the regs. are being adhered to, these laws as they relate to weather/scientific/etc. balloons would be pre-empted by federal law.

M1WML likes this.
  11. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

that is sad. kind of makes you wonder where's your freedom? sounds like oppression.

KC5HWB and M1WML like this.
  12. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I knew my comment would bring out the droll dullards... time to put on my tin foil hat.

13. UT7UX

Nice to know you've got it. :rolleyes:

14. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, that is my humorous way of making a slight towards the conspiracy sect.

15. UT7UX

Hmm... Really? Still looks like you're making excuses. :p To avoid such awkward situation just wear a wig over the foil hat so no one will know you're protected. :D BTW join FSM church as their religious headdress looks more reliant than plain foil hat. It could protect you from being chipped with 5G towers, you know. :rolleyes: