ad: Radclub22-1

HR2.0 - Ham Radio Antennas | Base Station Antennas - What Do The YouTubers Use? YTB #19

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Sep 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N1WLD

N1WLD Ham Member QRZ Page

A hex beam, a G5RV, a Cubex Kingbee III, and a Diamond 510. I can fully enjoy my hobby without spending a small fortune.

KC5HWB likes this.
  2. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Cubex makes some excellent antennas. I would go for the larger ones but being in Ice country leaves me with concerns.

W0AQ and N1WLD like this.
  3. N1WLD

N1WLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm also in Ice and Snow country. My hex beam went from a bowl, to an umbrella, and back again, after a VERY wet snow storm this past spring! The Kingbee wasn't affected at all! Like you, I considered the larger Cubex but was concerned with the affects of snow and ice.

KC5HWB and W0AQ like this.
  4. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Whenever someone does a youtube video on ham radio and shares it here it becomes a pissing contest courtesy of all the folks who think certain youtubers are somehow the problem with ham radio. The subject doesn't matter, it's a pavlovian response to stimuli.

Chris

W2ZF, N8PEM, KC5HWB and 1 other person like this.
  5. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been licensed for about 14 years and that was always the term I heard people use, including from some who were licensed longer than I've been alive (I'm 47).

Chris

KC5HWB likes this.
  6. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is the greatest description I have heard recently. Thanks for the insight!

7. KC5HWB

Been licensed for 25 years, same here. I honestly don't understand people getting upset about terms, anyway.

8. W0AQ

W0AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't see anyone upset. I don't think, "base station" is common ham radio terminology, but that's just my opinion/experience and I'm not upset.

K8PG and KC5HWB like this.
  9. KC5HWB

You are correct. I was making a generalized statement, not directing that comment to this thread. I have heard people get upset about terms that I have used (others have used) in the past on videos, posts, etc. Not here, not today. You are right, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was directing that comment at this thread.

10. W4KMH

W4KMH Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoyed watching and learning about what others use. “I live in the woods “ and space is limited. I’m sure the canopy of trees and leaves effect things. All my antennas are home brewed wires. My work horse is a ZS6BKW up about 65’. I have an OCF with 80/20 split as per W8JI scaled down for 20m at 45’. A 17 Half Square at 35’. An inverted L under a group of oak trees for 80m (works multiple bands). I have fun with these.

KC5HWB likes this.
  11. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I never have a problem with roll your own videos but the ones who try to be influencers in the hobby by promoting equipment the manufacturers send them or give a deep discount are not genuine in my eyes. They really don't advance the hobby but instead turn it to look at me. It's the difference between Radio Shack and DX engineering. Radio Shacks used to be everywhere, selling junk and catering to the consumer market, the other has the gear and parts we need.
    Radio Shack didn't last . I don't expect many Ham You Tubers to either. The ones who actually produce useful tech info will because you can go back for reference. The idea we can make the hobby popular is nonsense. It takes a certain person to pursue it. That person is hungry for real information, the other its just a fad.

K6ARW, G7DAZ and WN1MB like this.
  12. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

A coffee can fed with zip cord.
    SCREW U TUBE.

K8JHR and G7DAZ like this.
  13. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

About the same time that the calculation for antenna length was changed from "frequency" to "channel". HI Hi and a QSL, QSL to all. :)

KC5HWB and WN1MB like this.
  14. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I started watching the video but only made it about 10 minutes or so. The harmonizer was mildly funny the first time or two. All usage thereafter went from monotonous, to tedious, to annoying rather quickly.

Less silly mug animation and more quality content would go a long way to reducing criticism about the videos.

Hearing an antenna part referred to as a thingamabob, thingamajig, doodad, gizmo, or whatchamacallit doesn't instill much confidence in the technical knowledge of the presenter or integrity of the presentation.

K6ARW, K8JHR, KR3DX and 5 others like this.
  15. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe the 'Legal' definition would be 'Fixed" Station, vs Mobile or Portable.

KC5HWB likes this.