HR2.0 - FCC Hits Rugged Radios with Citation over Illegal Radios

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Dec 15, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-gcopper
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K1VSC

K1VSC Ham Member QRZ Page

If this radios are modified in such a way as to receive Cell Phone conversations that makes then illegal!

2. KC9ZNV

KC9ZNV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I once asked them if I needed a license since they market to us off road people. They have some unique setups with overpriced baofengs but I got stuck on no reply about the license.

KC5HWB and KD5BVX like this.
  3. W4JWN

W4JWN Ham Member QRZ Page

Possibly c ell phon e bands?

4. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Baofeng radios can't receive or transmit on US cellphone bands.
    The article quoted was written by somebody with little or no radio knowledge.

N3FAA and (deleted member) like this.
  5. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

As usual. Journalism and journalistic ethics are dead. True/False, Factual/Fabricated... doesn't matter at all. Unfortunately, the government does it too.

It's all about the clicks.

AF5XF likes this.
  6. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's exactly what it is. There is absolutely nothing in the citation referring unauthorized receive frequencies.

KC5HWB likes this.
  7. KC1CCG

KC1CCG Ham Member QRZ Page

In the 80's I was using a spectrum analyzer in Mass to test equipment for FCC compliance. The 900 MHz cell conversations were easy to listen to and interesting now and then. Cell phones were new and sexy. Heard the Lt Governor swearing at an aid once. Seemed a big deal back then. I don't think listening was illegal but revealing what you heard was.

8. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, that fork is in our town, Montclair, NJ, and I think the story relates to Yogi's first Montclair house, at 61 Wayside Place. Considering how the roads connect, there are multiple potential forks that more or less fit the story, but my bet is the fork from Eagle Rock Way.

yogi_fork.jpg

K8JHR likes this.
  9. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. So as is typical of our US way of doing things, instead of adopting better technology to make random eavesdropping on the calls essentially impossible -- GSM, for starters -- the industry pressured FCC to block receiver coverage of the in-the-clear analog comms in manufacturered products. That took our telco industry off the hook for innovation in mobile comms and let other players in that space on the world stage get ahead of us.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  10. ZL4IV

ZL4IV Ham Member QRZ Page

So what you guys are saying that nothing has changed from the Gestapo tracking down Unauthorized receivers to the FCC carrying on with the practice. I thought you were the country of the free. We can listen to what we like just not pass the information to a third party.