ad: Mountaingoat-1

HR2.0: Episode 89 - Unboxing the QYT KT7900D Quad-Band Mini-Mobile Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Apr 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2. NA5A

NA5A Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought one of these late last year. For the most part it is pretty good. Very small, very good receive and transmit audio. My complaint is that in Houston area there is a repeater on 442.0 and there is an internal spur on that frequency that keeps the squelch open....not good. The only other complaint is the usual for Chinese radios, a royal pain to program it manually. In fact it took a bit of head scratching and re-reading the Chinese-English to even figure out how to do it. Once it is programmed with your favorite repeaters and if your favorite repeater isn't on top of a spur, it's not a bad radio.

K4LIX likes this.
  3. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed on the spurs. Lots of these radios seem to have that.

I didn't have any issue with programming this little radio, though. I did it all on-the-fly in the video. It is a pretty straight-forward menu, similar to other Chinese rigs (Baofeng, Wouxun)

4. K4ISR

K4ISR Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a chance to "play" and test the QYT 7900D and 8900D, then I got the BTECH UV-25X2, 25X4, and UV-50X2. The BTECH models are another major step up over the QYT variations, they went through extensive testing to fix the bugs, and added a series of new options only available with the BTECH models.
    http://km4fmk.com/25XX_models.html

K8JST and KC5HWB like this.
  5. KG7FIU

KG7FIU Ham Member QRZ Page

Just bought the QYT 7900D and installed in my mobile. Like you emphasize in your video, that's not at all bad for a tri-band < $100.

While I haven't tested extensively, have been able to hit a few of the local 220 repeaters OK.
    2M and 440 also work OK. Overall sensitivity is fair. Not quite as good as a 2M radio I have. When driving around, I keep the squelch as low as it will go ("1") in order to prevent stations from cutting out, and even that isn't always successful. I've read that someone else purchased this unit and found the scan feature didn't actually work -- but on my unit the scan seems to function OK. Have come across occasional software "bugs" in the menus and in general usage. But at this price, I think one can reasonably expect a few glitches...

The most annoying thing on this radio is that when programming channels using the front panel/microphone, some important settings (such as the transmit CTDCS offset) do not seem to save properly(!) [Not sure if this is a defect in the firmware, or a problem in my radio] Makes it virtually impossible to program channels from the front panel alone. Fortunately the channel programming works as expected when programmed through software via computer/USB-serial jack on back.