ad: MyersEng-1

HR2.0: Episode 82 - 'The Future of Dayton' forum from Hamcation 2017

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Feb 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that the hamfest where all the sellers tell you that it sells for X amount of dollars on eBay and if you don't buy it for "their price" they will sell it on eBay?

2. K8TS

K8TS Ham Member QRZ Page

New shing-dig..........Looks really good up here and details are going quite smoothly, I think you will like it when you get there, but Dayton is still THE big gig :)

W4IOA likes this.
  3. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

With my upcoming move to 4 land and Dayton a drive I can do in a day, I am all for keeping it there. I hope this is a success

4. W9JM

W9JM Ham Member QRZ Page

Simple...if you don't like it in Dayton, then don't go. Always gotta be someone who complains.....

WA8FOZ and KD8QGA like this.
  5. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

This is NOTHING, a few months back you should have read all the HATE/Social Shamers/ that belittled DARA for moving to the new location. Moving was not by choice but force.

WU8Y likes this.
  6. KA7RRA

KA7RRA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They say that at all of the ham-fest now, I tell them to go sell on E-bay

WF9Q likes this.
  7. WG9F

WG9F Ham Member QRZ Page

Move it to the Marion County Fairgrounds, Indianapolis. Lots of room. Plenty of blacktop and gravel areas. Not too far from Dayton. Excellent no-congestion access from Interstate 74. Close to I-465, I-65 and I-70

8. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

That sometimes is a good option, recently a guy shafted me on ebay with an old Drake TR3 that was not even close to the description and the photos obscured the gouges in the covers. Well, that seller new they screwed me and gave a full refund and said to keep the rig to avoid paying the return shipping. At least at the hamfest you can spot the cosmetic defects, but still run the risk of it not working correctly.

9. K9PLG

K9PLG Ham Member QRZ Page

If I may make a suggestion: Most ALL computers these days have a headphone jack somwhere (if not a $10 USB sound card will work), go spend $5 at the dollar store for some cheap headphone and plug them in... you can now listen to the video... (and maybe speed it up so you can listen faster LOL) - this takes less effort than creating a transcript or having someone do the closed captions.

AA8GK likes this.
  10. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

My Computer sound card is setup for Digital Radio use, codec to do PSK31, RTTY, JT65, etc.
    I will try the headphones, I have a set here I use for my radio for DX. :)

Thanks for the suggestion.

K9PLG likes this.
  11. K8TS

K8TS Ham Member QRZ Page

Dayton has a special lure to it, and ever since my elmer finally got me to it, have tried to return each year (broken sewers and rain and all). Dayton is Dayton, regardless of the real estate location. Their always has been and always will be whiners, give a beer to cry in.
    K8TS

WA8FOZ likes this.
  12. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes it is grass, but they have some really great drainage setup underneath. Ron Cramer talks about this in the video I shared.

13. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

My feet will like that MUCH better than hot asphalt.

KC5HWB likes this.
  14. K8UV

K8UV Ham Member QRZ Page

ยท The most exciting ham radio event to ever hit Michigan has been scheduled for October 7 & 8,2017 at Michigan International Speedway (MIS) near Brooklyn, Michigan.

MIS is located in the vacation area of Southeastern Michigan known as the Irish Hills. The racetrack is the home of two NASCAR races each year (June & August) and other non-racing events and is near major highways and air transportation. The facility is comprised of 1400 acres in the rolling hills of SE Michigan.

The entire event will be held in the infield of the 2 mile track with lots of asphalt surfaces in the pit area. We have 22,500 square feet of indoor area for commercial vendors and a huge paved area for flea market space. All types of camping on site are available (tents to pop up campers to fifth wheels to full blown motor homes) with 24 hour security services. Medical personnel will be on site during the entire event for your safety. The facility will be open on Friday, Oct 6 for vendor load in and set up. Load out will be on Sunday, Oct 8) at the close of the event. All activity should be complete by 2100 Sunday evening.

Food services will be available and ticketing will be available electronically. There will be a complete complement of commercial vendors and many forums and workshops, including a ham in a day class taught by Dan, KB6NU. This class will be followed by a VE session which will be open to anyone interested in testing for a new license or an upgrade.

There are a great number of details that are still in the process of being developed. We are assembling our team to plan and operate the HamCon in conjunction with participating amateur radio clubs in roughly a 50 mile radius of the track. Our organization is the Great Lakes Amateur Radio Association, which will be a 501 (c) (3) non-profit corporation. Our website is www.glhamcon.org and we are on Facebook as Great Lakes Ham Convention and our Twitter ID is GLHamCon. All of our social media is in the process of being developed and will be fleshed out as things develop. Scott Westerman, W9WSW is heading up our Social Media efforts. de Rich K8UV

15. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A nice place, I hear. But this is the DAYTON Hamvention. It is put on by the DAYTON Amateur Radio Association. It is staffed by hundreds of volunteers from the DAYTON area, few if any of whom live within 100 miles of Indy, and many of whom work for free all year to make it happen. So it necessarily needs to be in DAYTON.