ad: portazero-1

HR2.0 Episode 146 - BTECH U25D Amp Testing

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Aug 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
  1. WD8CRT

WD8CRT Ham Member QRZ Page

30 mS you mean? = 0.03 S (second)

2. KG2C

KG2C XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's other sources if you don't trust Wikipedia where you can double-check that this is a data transmission
    The point I was making was that you as a host of a very popular ham show that attempts to educate and entertain people, should make an attempt to share correct information and not to share incorrect information. We have plenty of forums for the sharing of wrong information and your channel is a great way to educate people and share the correct information as you usually do. All I suggest is that if you are going to talk about TDMA then maybe check that what the radio does is send data not analog audio in two separate streams (slots) that are switched between several times per second. Then that data is converted into analog audio that is played without interruption.

If you don't like Wikipedia as a source, that'f fine. I don't claim that everything there is correct or even exhaustive on any topic and there's plenty of other sources where you can read up on the topic you were discussing in your show.

K0WJ and KD5RJZ like this.
  3. KD5RJZ

KD5RJZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Some basic test equipment (a real watt meter and dummy load and maybe a cheap spectrum analyzer) would have vastly improved the quality of this review. What is the point of talking about the gear without knowing it's technical specifications. You need to add value to the product and I am not sure how a video of questions and speculation does that.

AG7LR and K0WJ like this.
  4. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Any schmo can make YouTube videos full of misinformation too.

5. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be a good test to put one of these behind a
    Overall I do agree with you. But I never said that TDMA (DMR) sent analog audio. The vocoder converts digital audio into analog and vice-versa, because humans hear in analog.

My comment in the video about the dual timeslots didn't have anything to do with analog/data, though. It was an explanation of how 2 timeslots can exist on the same frequency and not interfere with one another.

6. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Ham Member QRZ Page

Quite true. But they could also do it with correct information.

N5WLS likes this.
  7. N0DZQ

N0DZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Shane,

Could you please advise where one could find the technical review on this amp? I am interested to peruse over the results.

Thanks,

John

8. KD6VXI

KD6VXI Ham Member QRZ Page

John,

I don't have the exact link handy, but here's one.....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.f5uii.net/en/uhf-bg7sgm-dmr-amplifier/amp/

Also, the gentleman whom btech hired to write the English manuals has stated that they put the filtering on the input side, to clean up the exciter.

Yeah, because that's best.

I prefer gigo, not having my amplifier providing harmonic reduction of the exciter.

--Shane
    KD6VXI

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

They blow out my ISP dialup connection. :(

AA1PR and KC5HWB like this.
  10. N0DZQ

N0DZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

KC5HWB likes this.