ad: elecraft

HR2.0 Episode 140: 2018 Dayton Hamvention Follow-Up

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Jun 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

W2HP, W9JF, KA8UGB and 1 other person like this.
  2. KQ4KK

KQ4KK Ham Member QRZ Page

The idea of having the hamfest Thursday thru Saturday is a very interesting idea. Many do travel early. You could work out the school issue. But leaving Sunday open to travel, recover, or even go to church is a good one.

K0WJ and KC5HWB like this.
  3. N5DWP

N5DWP Ham Member QRZ Page

Why aren’t the forums, maps, etc on a scheduling app? Every convention I go to uses them. Why is Hamvention so lo tech?

4. KC5HWB

I like that idea. I haven't seen an App for such things, but it would be cool to see.

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

'Dayton' is already up and running on Thursday. If you open 'Hamvention' into Thursday, you will conflict with all the others SCHEDULED activities that ALSO happen--7 days in may, contest university, and many more.

The school issue should not be poo-pooed. As Mike carefully tried to tell you, Xenia and other towns shut down the schools on FRIDAY so we can run 'Hamstock'. Asking two days is just too much a burden on the towns.

The Fairgrounds are not a 52 week a year , high occupancy venue. Like most Fairgrounds, there is the 'Fair', and a handful of lesser events thru the season. Traffic is managed and scheduled.

All conventions suffer from 'last-day-itis'. Hamvention is no exception.

Hamvention--they did a great job this year , didn't they?:)

KC5HWB, K2NCC, K2HAT and 1 other person like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am sure that DARA would be grateful to competent volunteers to code that up! Remember guys, DARA is a dedicated group of volunteers, and I bet they would welcome , as they do already, those outside the Dayton area who can help:)

K2HAT and K0WJ like this.
  7. WA4KFZ

WA4KFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If Xenia close the schools on Friday, does Hamvention invite the local kids to attend for free? If not, this might be a goodwill gesture worth considering and a way to entice kids to join the hobby.

KA2DEW and AC8MA like this.
  8. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you Xenia for another worth while event! Sure it rained a bit, but the paths in the "mud pit" took care of the problem. I wore my black western hat to channel rain away from me, and a slicker. In other words, I came prepared.

Only heard one guy whining about the event. In the time it took for me to eat a rib eye, he whined about rain, heat, potholes on the interstate, the latest offering from Flex radio, the price of towers, etc. As I finished my sandwich, he brought up a problem "ole Joe" is having with his wife. In short, I did not put much faith in anything he had to say. But a straight jacket may have been in order. See you next year!

KC5HWB likes this.
  9. KC5HWB

I am not sure why you are saying this like I didn't listen to what Mike told me, but yes - he did make a good point, and I agreed with him on the video. Regardless, my original point about Thursday was that people were already there for various other activities, so why not open the Commercial doors also? There are multiple activities going on all day on Friday-Sunday also, so the idea of limiting Thursday to just only things like Contest University, etc - is kinda, well....limiting, is it not? Either way, it was just an idea, and one that would work well, if it happened.

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem is you didnt list what those other events were...so people thought it was an open-ended suggestion. And you are not correct: people won't leave CTU to come to Hamvention. Its not something you wander in and out of:)

People come to Hamvention as soon as the flea opens-- which would likely still be Friday.

Anyway, nice piece.;-)

Chip W1YW

11. VE3GCX

VE3GCX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes they do

12. KC5HWB

I got news for ya - the flea market already opens on Thursday. I've been there on Thursday for 3 years in a row now, there are always people selling and buying. Making it official would amplify that even more.
    But Thursday isn't an "official" Hamvention Day, even though things are going on elsewhere. That was kinda my point.
    Anyway, it was a suggestion, and they didn't want to do it in place of Sunday (which I have said several times now). So the point is moot anyway.

Jason

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Jason,

There is no Flea market in Thursday; its a few sellers selling to sellers.I've been there at 7AM on Friday, and that's when the Flea sellers really take up the lots.

Thursday opening is an interesting idea, but just not tenable. Accept it. Its not a question of 'want'. Xenia and the county don't need to close things down for two workdays.

Also, you'd just have people leaving Saturday afternoon with a Thursday opening. As I said, this 'effect'--last day attrition-- happens at every conference. I am surprised you don't know that.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  14. KA2DEW

KA2DEW Subscriber QRZ Page

So the solution would be to have the flea market be open through Monday morning. That would mean that Sunday would still be fully interesting?. Just kidding. It seemed like a logical fall-out though. If we want the hamfest to be excellent Saturday and Sunday, all we need to do is run it until Monday and that'll fix it.

My biggest complaint about the hamfest was the Bus departure and arrivals location. At Hara they had the bus drop-off and pickup only 100' from the indoor fest across a paved walk. Also they had this wonderful tent where we could wait for the bus that would mean we'd only have to cross 20' between the tent and the bus door, again on pavement.

The Xenia solution involve a half-mile hay ride in an open bumpy trailer at 10 miles per hour while getting drenched by rain or cooked by the sun (we wish), both ways and mud everywhere. Considering that the hamfest WANTS everybody to use the busses, they are treating the bus riders like cattle.

It is a shame, but it is true, that the attendees to the Hamvention are not as young as they once were.

There are two priorities that I think should be attended to by DARA
    1. Prioritize convenience (and health) of the guests
    2. Make it easy/safe/healthy for the guests to get to the indoor AND outdoor market locations

I have two proposals.
    1. Move the bus arrival and departure as needed so a covered area exists from the larger indoor areas to within 20' of the bus arrival and departure. Rearrange the entire fest to make this possible. Perhaps this could be as easy as having the busses go to the loop just outside of where the ticketed pedestrian gate has been in 2017 and 2018. Put a huge covered area/covered walk between that and where the first of the indoor market buildings is located to provide weather protection for people arriving and departing.

2. Move the flea market to center around the hard "indoor" buildings. Food trucks were in the flea market in 2016 and before. Why not now? Everyplace that is paved should be flea market except that used for the bus/handicapped arrival and dismissal. Everything else is 3rd priority. If you look at the satellite view, there is plenty of paved area. The race-track is a dumb place for the flea. Too long of a walk to anything else. Consider using what was parking for the flea market.

If necessary, ticket checking and sales could be done at the remote parking lots. If necessary, the highest quality/most desired flea market spots might not be available until late Thursday night.

Also consider that we don't have to have SO much security between the outside world and the flea market. It's not like the ticket prices are so high. Really the biggest deal with security is making sure motor vehicle operators don't run over the guests.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  15. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Your not even as old as I am, LOL. Too long a walk? There are golf carts riding around and if you wave one down they will give you a ride. :) No Charge.

Really, Hmm maybe, there should be a giant roof over the complete fairgrounds that is tornado proof with a/c set at 70f and 40% humidity.

And Clean flush toilets very 500 feet with picnic tables every 100 feet. ;)

It is a Fairgrounds. It is Outside and the weather is not perfect. I wear work boots that are almost waterproof. They are not mud proof they do get dirty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

K2NCC likes this.