ad: AbAuRe-1

HR2.0: Episode 108 - Debut of the Anytone AT-868UV Dual Band DMR HT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Aug 1, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

AA3SO and YO4FKO like this.
  2. KD0PNQ

KD0PNQ Ham Member QRZ Page

AnyTone D868UV Radio

The new AT-D868UV DMR digital radio with full Analog features specifications:

Size: 5” tall, 2 14” wide, 1 ½” deep w/o clip, antenna 6” tall

Frequency Range: 136~174 & 400~480MHz

DMR: True 2 slot which complies to Motorola Tier I and II

Auto-senses digital or analog reception

Power: 6 W, 5 W, 2.5W or 0.5W – 7 W max on VHF

Sensitivity: ≤0.25 µV Analog @ 25 kHz, ≤0.35 µV Analog @ 12.5 kHz

0.3 µV/-117.4 dBm (BER 5%) DMR

Selectivity: ≥ 70 dB @ 25 kHz, and ≥60 dB @ 12.5 kHz

Modulation: 7K60FXD data and 7K60FXE data+voice

DMR Talk Groups: 4,000 Channels, 10,000 Talk Groups with 150,000 Contacts

Display: 1.77 inch color TFT screen with dual channel display

can be set to single or dual channel operation

displays DMR ID, Call sign, Name, City, State, Country etc.

Bandwidth: 12.5 kHz/25 kHz Analog, and 12.5 kHz DMR

Analog Tone: CTCSS/DCS encode and decode

DTFM/2Tone/5Tone encode and decode

Four different Tone-Pulse frequencies

DMR call: Individual, Group or All call

Display icon or voice prompt when connected to repeater

Vocoder: AMBE 3000

Encryption: Allows encryption functions

SMS: Allows SMS via keyboard

Recording: Allows internal recording of calls (option)

PTT: ANI function and PTT ID or Voice Operated Transmit

Alarm: Emergency Alarm Transmit with GPS coordinates

Connection: Kenwood type earphone/mic connection - programming cable

GPS: Full feature GPS positioner (option)

Programming: Easy to use software for programming DMR and Analog

allows export/import of each parameter to/from excel spreadsheet

easy import of DMR contact database (entire world wide)

Programming Guide available to clarify all parameters

Advanced Features: Call Alert – will send a message to target radio

Remote Monitor – Open the mic at target radio

Get GPS – will obtain GPS position of target radio

Check Radio – will check if target radio is powered on

Kill/Wake – can make target radio inoperative/open it up.

Battery: Standard 2,000 mAh Li-ion battery

Optional 3,300 mAh Li-ion battery (thicker back)

Optional 2,400 mAh Polymer battery

3. N6NLX

N6NLX Ham Member QRZ Page

Any idea of the cost?

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Any tone that I'm welcome to...

Is better...

Than the one...

I come from

;-)

5. AA3SO

AA3SO Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice Vid Jason!

KC5HWB likes this.
  6. WB1DPS

WB1DPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice presentation Jason.
    Could you do a little bit about comparing the 868 and the 2017 side by side, comparing features and problems. I am on the fence about which one to get, but am leaning toward the 868 simply because of smaller size. Any thoughts would certainly help. Thanks '73 Jeff, WB1DPS

7. KC5HWB

I had that idea for another video. This one, I wanted to commit the entire episode to the Anytone, but I do think a comparison video is a good idea.

8. KC2FQ

KC2FQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I received my AT-868UV but if I don't get a code plug soon, you might see it in the classified section! Any chance somebody has one for the eastern or southeastern US?

9. KC5HWB

Doubtful since they are brand new. Try and build one that can be shared around.

10. KD0PNQ

The creator of the Contact Manager is working on adding the AT D868UV to the program allowing to convert Codeplugs between different radios. Do a search and monitor when this program will be ready for the D868UV

11. N6NLX

Hello all,
    I received my Anytone AT-D868UV last Saturday. I programmed it and had it on the air in a few hours. Their CPS seems easier to use to me.
    I really like the radio. More so than my MD380, 2017 and GD-77.
    Today I noticed while jumping between the Zumspot and repeaters that the radio was not receiving consistently while listening to the Zumspot. I could see the status LEDs were lit on the Zumspot but the radio didn't hear anything. I tried hitting the monitor button and then the audio would come through and the user data would show up on the screen. As soon as the repeater unkeyed then re-keyed the 868 would not hear or display anything until I tapped the monitor button.
    When I'm using it in normal repeater mode it seems to be working fine.
    I tested it against my MD380 and the 380 would open the audio and display user data every time.
    I was listening to a Monday night net and noticed there were times when I could not hear anyone but did see their user data on the screen. Yet conversations continued regardless. This was while in normal repeater mode.
    It appears the receiver is a bit numb. There isn't a squelch setting in digital mode that I can see.

Has anyone else that owns an AT-D868UV seen this issue? I'm thinking I'd seen another complaint like this on a FB posting the other day.

Any ideas?

Don N6NLX

12. N7IBC

N7IBC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had the Anytone AT-D868U/V for about two weeks now.

This is effectively a user review as I am not an expert in technical matters with regard to handheld radios, and especially DMR in particular.
    I have an extensive code plug in it with approximately 47K contacts.
    The radio transmits and receives fine now, but it did have a couple of bugs at first which were either corrected with the latest firmware upgrade to v2.20, or I am making friends with the radio.

The first problem I noticed was that after I had created a scan list, the receiver was cutting out in even time increments.
    I would be talking to a station on DMR and only getting every other word or every third word.
    Noticing the time increment, I went to the scan list and turned off the scan mode.
    The behavior still continued, so I deleted the scan list completely.
    That stopped the intermittent receive issue.
    This appears to be a bug in the firmware, possibly, or I am not doing something correctly with the CPS.

The next thing I noticed was that the GPS, when showing turned on and enabled was not showing coordinates on the screen.
    When trying to obtain a position reading, the readout shows, "No fixed Position" on the screen.
    Following the trouble shooting guide, I left it sit out from under cover for about 30 minutes, and it still provided nu position coordinates.
    No additional settings are provided for the GPS, so I am awaiting information on that as well.

Another issue involves the CTCSS decode function.
    As the radio is a part 90 radio, and I am involved with public safety, I have local emergency services frequencies programmed into the radio.
    I noticed on the screen that the local LEO/Fire/EMS dispatch frequencies would go active, there was no audio coming from the radio.
    Listening to other public safety groups which required no CTCSS decode, I could hear them very well.
    So, I turned off the decode feature as a test on the local frequencies, and I could then hear my dispatch, the fire units and the EMS personnel.

I have reported the above issues to Powerwerx support and they have passed them on too the engineer on the project.

I do like the radio, the screen in my opinion is well lit and easy to read.
    Working my way through the command sequences is easy, but it does take time to learn, so I am here to tell others to not become frustrated to early.
    There are many features which can be programmed from the front panel.
    Setting the time slot for digital is not so readily done without a computer.
    The power levels seem to be sufficient for me to hit the local repeaters, both analog as well as digital.
    The mic gain is a bit hot, so the owner may either turn down the internal microphone gain, or simply just speak further away from the radio microphone or in a softer voice.
    I chose backing off the mic or speaking softer in lieu of turning the gain down.
    The battery life is great with the larger batteries being 3150Mah.
    I may buy a couple of more in the near future.
    I have been running the batteries around 3 days each, and have not had any issues with short down times.

I would like to see a charger cord for a motor vehicle or battery eliminator.
    I would also like to be able to purchase a larger type headset with a noise cancelling microphone for SAR missions .

I would encourage hams who have these radios and have put them through the test, to report any bug as they might be able to correct any issues in short order.

Thanks everyone and good luck with these radios.

N7IBC-Larry
    McCall, Id.

13. KD0PNQ

None of you mention which firmware you are using with your D868UV radio. The latest and most stable version is the 1.21/2/21 depending what version radio you have. Also - this firmware requires that you open your saved codeplug with CPS (programming firmware) 1.21 and load it into the radio. In addition - there has been a bug with the radio such that when someone else is using the "other" Slot your radio may not work right - the update Bandpass IC must also be done in order to make the radio work perfectly. There are several retailer sites offering the latest software/firmware for the radio. If you have not - please update and you should be ok.

14. N6NLX

Hi Larry,

Nice review. I've pretty much gotten my bugs worked out. I'm very happy with mine. I've gone through the firmware upgrades and haven't had any real issues. I'm now running the version 1.21 firmware (the latest). I'd definitely recommend this radio over the others. As you stated, the GPS doesn't work well. Even with it in wide open areas like the desert it is intermittent at best. I've don't really have a need for it anyway so it doesn't bother me.
    This radio has so many features that I wouldn't have a use for. So most of them I'm not even aware of being problematic. The scan rate is pretty slow but not a deal killer.

BTW,

On EBay, they are selling battery eliminators for 10.00 dollars. I bought one a week ago. No clip though so you will need to either use the one on your battery or order a new one. I believe Connect Systems has the clips.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-El...YsAAOSwcOFaOHaj:sc:USPSFirstClass!92109!US!-1

Don N6NLX