ad: TinyPaddle-1

HR2.0 - Contest University and Hamvention QSO Party with K3LR and W8CI

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, May 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KQ1V, KE8SFY, KO6M and 2 others like this.
  2. WA6JJM

WA6JJM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, not interested.

N9UTJ, N4CAX, KT5OT and 7 others like this.
  3. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry. Not interested.

N4CAX, KT5OT, K8NY and 4 others like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the info:)

Great to see W8CI back up and kickin after being under the weather:)

Chip W1YW

KC5HWB likes this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That's childish and offensive. If you don't want the info, then just read something else. No reason to resort alluding to .....

:(

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2021
    KD5BVX likes this.
  6. AK5CT

AK5CT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm confused. Is Contest University part of Hamvention? I have attended Hamvention, but I did not go to any forums, that is just not my thing. I'm not sure I even know what Contest University is, but again that is not my thing. I do, however, really enjoy 'Hamfests' . I was lucky to make it to Hamcation in Orlando in February 2020, before Covid stuck and had plans to go to Hamvention in Xenia in both 2020, and 2021, but alas that was not to be. It seems Hamvention likes & wants the publicity and that is understandable; they want to keep the name out there for obvious reasons. I guess my point is - upon attending Hamvention and buying a ticket, I was eligible for a prize drawing, I did not have to attend forums for that. I am sure there are other Hams out there that do not wish to Zoom into a program or forum to be eligible for the drawings. Maybe I missed something but it seemed that is currently the only way to enter for any kind of drawing. It also seems that if Hamvention wants to really stay on the minds of Hams everywhere, they should have some kind of simple drawing that you can enter only once, which could be controlled via using your call sign. Or they could even have extra 'virtual tickets' for sale for a reasonable price. This could be done by a entry blank on their web page. This would not have to be for the 'Grand Prize' or hourly prizes, but just a little fun thing so that everyone could participate in "Hamvention". It just seems like they missed the boat on a lot of free or low costs publicity and goodwill. Perhaps I missed something somewhere and there is such a drawing in place. If so, the information on it should be on their site or advertised somewhere in plain language and not something for which you have to hunt. If there is something like that out there, that I did miss completely, I apologize in advance for wasting your time reading this.

K8XG likes this.
  7. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Great, your negativity won't be missed by myself or by the 3,000 other attendees (last year's number).

I guess you don't want to learn about propagation, antenna building, shack design, etc.

Here were some of the topics from 2020:
    Effective Low Band Receiving Antennas”
    “2020 Solar Cycle Update and the HF Response to Ionospheric Storms and Traveling Ionospheric Disturbances”
    “Everything You Need to Know About USB and Serial Interfaces”
    “Digital Contesting Hints & Kinks”
    “Grounding & Bonding for Contest Stations”

Your choice. But practically any amateur - regardless of interest or license class - could easily have found sessions of interest.

WB9RRU, W9JF, KC5HWB and 5 others like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Contest University, in a live forum, is a 'Dayton' activity, although not officially part of 'Hamvention'. I don't see the 'publicity' angle at all--the fact is thousands of hams have now been deprived of their coveted live experience for two years: this is a way to keep people engaged and happy.

W9JF and KQ1V like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

This post is about Contest University, and the Hamvention QSO PARTY.

Its not about Hamvention, except in some aside fashion.

Its information. Not clickbait.

W4JDY, W9JF, KD5BVX and 1 other person like this.
  10. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure how you can say that. This is someone's video interview. Rather different.

KD5BVX likes this.
  11. AK5CT

AK5CT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps you misunderstood my meaning there, I certainly did not mean that statement in a negative way at all. I was equating 'publicity' with 'advertising, which every major brand or event uses to get word out to everyone about their 'product'. You stated that that "this was a way to keep people engaged and happy". That was my point, to possibly get the message out to even more Hams, 'to keep them engaged and happy' as you put it, and even more so to continue to have the "Hamvention" name on their minds. I was not advocating cancelling any of the online events, but suggesting adding a simple entry for a drawing, open to all hams. If you read my entire post, you also saw that I was one of those "thousands of hams", deprived of that experience for the last two years and I hated it. I certainly want Hamvention back as soon as possible. (and Hamcation, and Huntsville, etc...)

My question about Contest University being part of Hamvention was sincere with not a bit of sarcasm, and you did answer it, thank you.

W1YW likes this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You should check it out:) Fun!

KC5HWB likes this.
  13. KK6YO

KK6YO Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, not interested.

KT5OT, G7DAZ, KO2Q and 1 other person like this.
  14. W0ZF

W0ZF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

AK5CT, Contest university has traditionally been held in Dayton on the day before Hamvention opens, at the Crowne Plaza hotel downtown Dayton. It's not officially part of Hamvention. I have attended a couple of times and found it very well done and informative. Although aimed at contesters, nearly all of the material applies to any ham interested in propagation, antennas, station building, or improving the performance of their station and their operating technique.
    The in-person Contest University has a fee and attendance is limited by space (and generally sells out). Having the virtual CTU free and open to all is a great learning opportunity, and worth checking out. Big thanks to K3LR and the gang for making it happen!

WB9RRU, W9JF, KC5HWB and 4 others like this.
  15. KI4WCA

KI4WCA Ham Member QRZ Page

I really like the big gun stations. I live on a small city lot and am an avid 75 meter DXer. My station
    is a giant compromise in a noisy location. Nothing makes me happier than to see guys using epic grade
    stations and living the dream!!! I have worked many of the big guns in Europe and really am glad
    they have great setups that can hear me. I enjoy participating in contests as well because of the
    ridiculous band crowding and those conditions really show what you can do with your receiver...
    it is great practice.

I wish I could try operating some of the giant stations in DXer mode...it would be epic!!!