ad: cq2k-1

HR2.0 - Best HF Ham Radio Under $1000 - 6 Best HF Transceivers 2020

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Oct 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WB9YTG

WB9YTG Ham Member QRZ Page

Best new rig for under $1000? IC-7300 IMHO

Excellent, easy to learn transceiver. Good resale value (at least for the next few years).

W9FL likes this.
  2. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

3. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Exactly. Stay out of the new market and do your homework, learn what FITS and find something used it can be easily done on the cheap. There is a HF radio for any budget you just have to be patient which is a quality that is lost... hense all the touchscreens, bells, whistles, shiny objects and do-dads.

WA4JHE likes this.
  4. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

I vote for the RGO One. Classic analog, xtal filters, simple menu to navigate. Best receiver you'll ever hear; ultra quiet. Perfectly quiet QSK keying. Enough power to drive many any amp. In production. Under $1000 US.

John K7FD

K9GLS likes this.
  5. AC8AZ

AC8AZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6. W5MBH

W5MBH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think if you had titled this: "Most Popular Radios with a list of Comparisons" - might be more relevant.

7. W7WIA

W7WIA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Icom IC -7100 does have a built in sound card. I have used it for several years. Same set up as with my new IC-7610. One USB cable with ICOM USB drivers. I was going to get the IC-7300 but decided to move up to IC-7610. Could be my last radio. First transmitter Heathkit AT-1 and National NC-88 recesiver

8. N4OLR

N4OLR Ham Member QRZ Page

I owned both radios and I agree with WA6FX that the FT891 is better on receive than the 7300 is. Don't care what Sherwood says as the comparison is better than some instruments. Hearing is in the ear of the beholder!

AH7I likes this.
  9. N4OLR

I agree. I had both and compared them for one week. The 891 is better as far as listening pleasure goes and is slightly better on digging out the weak signals. If you need a panafall and excellent receiver, buy the $25.00 RTL-SDR dongle and MFJ 1708 switcher and have a ball with your FT891. I do and its great. They are all nice radios today. Been hamming since the early 60's and it's been a fun trip.
    73 all. KO4CH

10. N4OLR

The Icom 7100 on sale with rebates is an excellent purchase right now. Built in sound card and does all bands and all modes including D-star. I also like listening to police calls and FM radio stations. If you don't mind a 2 piece radio, It's a super buy. I get awesome audio reports and using a $25.00 computer headset. Excellent radio for base or mobile. I've owned lots of radios and this one is a keeper.

WD4IGX likes this.
  11. KJ4DGE

KJ4DGE Ham Member QRZ Page

I got that beat...I got that beat....Right there, Ellen Moffett...she broke my heart (Hooper from the movie "Jaws")
    Actually for the money the G90 from Xiegu but it tips out at 20 watts. It can hear a snail crawl.

WD4IGX likes this.
  12. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some of the commenters clearly didn't actually watch/listen to the video and it shows. ;) And, yes, if you're going to comment you should have watched it so you'd know what he actually said instead of what you think he said. :D Some of the comments are things he already talked about...

13. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, and you can mount the control head sideways if you want to. It took a week of commuting to get used-to, but works for me in this application. (wow-that faceplate needs some dusting) 73, n6spp/m, cm98- "60m mobile cw" and full wsjt. Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 1.03.50 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 1.04.27 PM.png

14. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

The IC-7300 does not overload if adjusted correctly.

KD5BVX likes this.
  15. KB6QXM

KB6QXM Ham Member QRZ Page

7) No HDMI video output for the ability to put the spectrum screen/waterfall on a bigger screen. As I get to know the radio, I am compiling a list of what I do and do not like about the radio.