HR2.0 - Best HF Ham Radio Under $1000 - 6 Best HF Transceivers 2020

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Oct 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N7JI

N7JI Ham Member QRZ Page

I used an 891 for two months. I noted that while transmitting, you couldn't change menus. You could modify a menu-based control that was already visible, but if you wanted to navigate to something that wasn't displayed, it couldn't be displayed until the radio switched back to RX. This seems to be a feature common to Yaesu menu-driven radios.

I don't like not being able to navigate through TX controls while transmitting. That would include keyer speed, mic gain, and the like.

That was one of the things that drove me from the Yaesu 891 and 991A to the Icom 7300...which I've never heard overloaded, even in contests (with a dipole).

Next best thing to a Flex or a K3 for 30% the price.

W9FL, K9GLS and PU2OZT like this.
  2. AA4MB

AA4MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  3. AA4MB

AA4MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

> "The majority of people having overload issues have no clue what they're doing, I hate to say. We added a mix of 7610s and 7300s to our Field Day aresenal the past couple years, and didn't have a single issue, even using amps."

I'm also seeing over the years that a lot of hams have forgotten the concept of how and when to use the RF gain control. 99% of the ops out there seem to leave theirs wide open, 100% of the time. I've dialed mine back to lessen fatigue if nothing else on every Yaesu, Kenwood and Icom I've ever owned.

K4NYX, M0TTQ, W9FL and 3 others like this.
  4. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I got my Tech license and then my General in late 2018, my wife said that she would give me equipment for Christmas. I was thinking maybe $1500. After looking into different rigs, I settled on a 7300. But by the time I bought the radio, a power supply, a paddle, etc. I was up to $1700 and my OCF antenna set me back another $220. I had looked at used rigs, but they seemed expensive and I was not experienced enough to assess the condition or fix any problems.
    I can’t compare the 7300 to many other rigs. I’ve used a K1, I have a Mountaintopper MTR-5B and a Xiegu G90. I can say that I have had a lot of fun with the 7300, made about 2000 contacts, worked a few contests and done a lot of QRP CW. I don’t regret the purchase.

PU2OZT likes this.
  5. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

I've discussed HF gear with a number of new hams with limited funds. They've all been focused on the cost of the radio. Understanding what it takes to compile an enjoyably useable HF station, it's easier to plan. The first thing I usually recommend is using WebSDR or similar to get a feeling for bands, propagation, and activity. Then look at options for compatible antenna installation. 73, -bob

KG7HVR and AK5B like this.
  6. KB6QXM

KB6QXM Ham Member QRZ Page

I just bought a 7300 as I hear them on the air and I just love the audio quality of the rigs. I am mostly a Flex Radio guy, but I decided to do an side-by-side comparison of my Flex 6XXX series to to the Icom 7300. Granted they are not in the same class of radios, but I wanted to determine the pros and cons of each radio. Here are a few negatives for the 7300. 1) When you leave the ham bands the spectrum and waterfall display will stop working and you will receive a "Scope out of range" error. Considering that I want to use the radio for Shortwave broadcast band receive also, this is a real shortcoming on the 7300. My Flex radio spectrum scope works no matter the frequency. 2) I also do not find a community for Icom where Icom support reads the community and make suggestions to the firmware/hardware engineering staff. 3) The RF gain is not a true RF gain on the 7300. 4) The BA-1 software configuration is like a science fair to setup. 5) The internal clock resets quickly if the radio is not powered up for a relatively short amount of time. 6) No separate RX antenna input. Granted you get a lot for $1,000 USD and a Flex 6XXX series is 2X-7X the cost of a IC-7300, not including the options, but some of the quirks of the IC-7300 would not have taken any more design time to work out the simple irritants of the IC-7300.

AJ4LN and AK5B like this.
  7. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

I've never had that happen. If I get tired chasing parks on the air I just whiz on through the SW bands with no weirdness. First thing I would do with an error message is a reset and see if it continues. Software defined anything sometimes needs a boot in the arse.

AJ4LN and AK5B like this.
  8. KA3CNC

KA3CNC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

True....but he is trying to inform the NEW ham op

KD5BVX likes this.
  9. KA3CNC

KA3CNC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree....I own both the ic 7300 and the ft 891 and really like them both....of course I use the 891 for portable use and it has worked very well for me.....great little radio....I also have an ft 857d that I am sad that they do not manufacture any more....that is a good one for me too.

KG7HVR likes this.
  10. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

o_O Just like elmers have done for 100 years...

WN1MB likes this.