ad: HamHats-1

HR2.0 - Best HF Ham Radio Under $1000 - 6 Best HF Transceivers 2020

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Oct 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB6QXM

KB6QXM Ham Member QRZ Page

I just bought a 7300 as I hear them on the air and I just love the audio quality of the rigs. I am mostly a Flex Radio guy, but I decided to do an side-by-side comparison of my Flex 6XXX series to to the Icom 7300. Granted they are not in the same class of radios, but I wanted to determine the pros and cons of each radio. Here are a few negatives for the 7300. 1) When you leave the ham bands the spectrum and waterfall display will stop working and you will receive a "Scope out of range" error. Considering that I want to use the radio for Shortwave broadcast band receive also, this is a real shortcoming on the 7300. My Flex radio spectrum scope works no matter the frequency. 2) I also do not find a community for Icom where Icom support reads the community and make suggestions to the firmware/hardware engineering staff. 3) The RF gain is not a true RF gain on the 7300. 4) The BA-1 software configuration is like a science fair to setup. 5) The internal clock resets quickly if the radio is not powered up for a relatively short amount of time. 6) No separate RX antenna input. Granted you get a lot for $1,000 USD and a Flex 6XXX series is 2X-7X the cost of a IC-7300, not including the options, but some of the quirks of the IC-7300 would not have taken any more design time to work out the simple irritants of the IC-7300.

AJ4LN and AK5B like this.
  2. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

I've never had that happen. If I get tired chasing parks on the air I just whiz on through the SW bands with no weirdness. First thing I would do with an error message is a reset and see if it continues. Software defined anything sometimes needs a boot in the arse.

AJ4LN and AK5B like this.
  3. KA3CNC

KA3CNC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

True....but he is trying to inform the NEW ham op

KD5BVX likes this.
  4. KA3CNC

KA3CNC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree....I own both the ic 7300 and the ft 891 and really like them both....of course I use the 891 for portable use and it has worked very well for me.....great little radio....I also have an ft 857d that I am sad that they do not manufacture any more....that is a good one for me too.

KG7HVR likes this.
  5. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

o_O Just like elmers have done for 100 years...

WN1MB likes this.
  6. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

And I bet in 1979 you listened intently to your elmer who offered their opinion on what they thought were the best choices for you the new amateur radio operator.

KD5BVX likes this.
  7. WA4JHE

WA4JHE Ham Member QRZ Page

The Icom 7300 looks like a great choice if your primary mode of operation is SSB or even AM (such as it is), but for me, optimizing for CW is most important and the Kenwood TS-590S and SG have that in spades, plus having incredibly good audio...

AJ4LN and PY2NEA like this.
  8. KA7CCP

KA7CCP Ham Member QRZ Page

if you like Icom , I don't

K9DD likes this.
  9. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Haha. Funny stuff.
    The ft102 is pretty amazing once you go through it. Im not a sherwood believer but both the 102 and 830 are wel regarded by him. The 102 has a very good receiver and 180w out with 3 6146 is good. Has the lowest idm of any radio the arrl has ever tested if I recall.
    The real deal is theres lots of affordable radios for new or old hams and lids telling people to be appliance operators isnt what ham radio is about in my opinion.
    I tell new guys to buy used. Theres plenty of amazing deals right here on qrz. Or Craigslist. Even ebay.
    These best radio you tube lid vids are like asking a rich person what kind of car to buy when your poor.

WD4IGX and KA7CCP like this.
  10. KG7HVR

The band edges can be changed and some of that can be compensated for however it does suck.

11. KG7HVR

I think my ears are bad. I have many radios and I cant say the rx is better on the 7300 or the 891 or a old radio. Only a few rigs really stink on rx.
    I think really it's more of a emotional experience for the operator and really not much to do with reality.
    The best radio is the one you like and use.

WD4IGX, KA7CCP and AK5B like this.
  12. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

AND it's an Alinco...Strike Two.....

WV8DCR likes this.
  13. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had an Icom IC-718 around 5-10 years ago and it served me well. I got DXCC on RTTY in less than a year.

It's a great QRP rig also because the output power can be lowered to 500 mw. I did add a slow AGC mod for SSB operation and I also a couple of good Collins filters.

14. W4HM

The Yaesu FT-450D, FT-897 and Kenwood TS-590 are also good rigs under $1000 but can only be purchased used now.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    PY2NEA likes this.
  15. W4HM

Upgrade to General, problem solved.