HR-10b Project

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W7UUU, Feb 13, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Steve...I will endeavor to persevere! After the HR10B is the DX60, the HG10 and the SA2060. The HO-10 is working and is currently tied into the station antenna feed.

All this circuit tracing is keeping me away from contests, playing with the Drakes and getting my field day homework done. Too many balls in the air!

73-Hugh

2. KL5A

KL5A Ham Member QRZ Page

My HR 10 is as good as it ends to be for 40 and 80. Ive spent hours in the shop tuned into various 80 meter AM nets and it works nicely for that purpose.

W7UUU likes this.
  3. WA7KKP

WA7KKP Ham Member QRZ Page

You will discover that the HR-10B is a so-so performer, but since you have the complete Heathkit station, I guess that's okay.

Most of the HR-10's I ever saw were deaf -- a good alignment works wonders for them. It's a shame the selectivity is so broad, for a receiver used in a CW station. Maybe a Q multiplier would help.

Gary WA7KKP

4. WA2LXB

Sadly, the HK Q multipliers such as the HD-11 or QF-1 are looking for an IF of 455kHz, and the HR-10B is 1681kHz.

5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A homebrew version, adapted to 1681 kHz, would not be difficult.

6. WA2LXB

That's currently beyond my skill set...however, as I inch my way through the HR10b and get it working again, I may consider just that for an HD-11. Of course you would be available for tech guidance...right Jim! ;)

The lad or lass who assembled this kit made a righteous mess of it-six mis-landed components on terminal strip A alone. Seemed to be dyslexic in the terminal strip department. Terminal strip A has the lugs numbered from 1 to 4, going from 1 at the bottom to 4 at the top (case towards dial drum). They got the lug numbering sequence mostly wrong.

Note in my previous pic that I've marked up the undersides of the rig with sharpie. I'm sure this is verboten radio assembly etiquette...but etiquette is taking a back seat to practicality. I've also got two PDF copies of the manual open...one to the wiring and one to the instructions. This way I can click back and forth very quickly as I try to refloat this shipwreck.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  7. WA2LXB

Starting page 24...page 22 was ok, page 23 has several mistakes that began by substituting a 3 lug terminal strip for a 4 lug. I have a new terminal strip ready to drop in and rewire that entire clustermuck. They must have known they screwed up...why they left it that way is a question for Marconi's ghost.

N2EY likes this.
  8. N2EY

Of course!

In fact.....maybe I will take a look and see what it would take....just to satisfy my curiousity.....

Sounds like a classic case of making one mistake, not seeing it, and cascading others on top of it.

You have more patience than I!

I've been known to completely disassemble a kit and start over....

73 de Jim, N2EY

9. WA2LXB

I considered complete disassembly...but I believe enough is salvageable to fix the messy and wrong bits and still be ahead.

N2EY likes this.
  10. N2EY

I looked at the QF-1 manual and the HD-11 schematic/pictorial. (The HD-11 is essentially a QF-1 with built-in power supply).

All that would be required to put them on 1681 kHz would be to change the L and C in the tuned circuit (tuning cap, coil, two fixed caps), and maybe the L and C in the compensator (it's a coil and capacitor in series across the input connection, so that the alignment of the receiver isn't changed).

However, one has to wonder how well a Q multiplier would work at 1681 kHz.

73 de Jim, N2EY

WA2LXB likes this.