HR-10b Project

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W7UUU, Feb 13, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB4SPT

WB4SPT Ham Member QRZ Page

Dragged my wife here (Fairport) from SE FL. She didn't know what hit her. We water ski in the long finger lake, actually all of them. I'm on board now with salt potatoes, red hots, and 6 months of depression each year. Bought our first grape pie this last year, from Naples.

N2EY likes this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you had a beef on a weck yet?

Been to Dinosaur BBQ?

I used to live in Palmyra, just down the road from Fairport.

And if you like radio history......AWA museum.

KE4OH likes this.
  3. WB4SPT

WB4SPT Ham Member QRZ Page

Been to both Dino BBQ, great stuff. AWA, only once, but will go back again, for sure. The world's very first transistor radio there; amazing. And, he fired up the Titanic spark gap rig for just me!
    Heard of this beef thing, still on the list. You have done the grassroots festival? Lots of family went to Cornell U. But, I have not actually heard of your town until I looked it up.

4. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Half way through page 20 on the point-to-point...8 pages to go. Found 3 non-soldered connections, one resistor landed to the wrong terminal lug for the AVC switch, V7 wired incorrectly as well as the primary 1 and primary 2 finish in the wrong place. Ordered a new 4 terminal strip to replace strip BC, where someone used a 3 terminal strip. Going by the book here...not trying to figure out if someone made a modification...restore to normal and get it working, then decide if I want to operate it, modify it or use it for a stern anchor.

Attached Files:

AF6LJ likes this.
  5. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh Jim! A true delicacy that is totally unknown here in the not-so-deep south. I am extremely fortunate that I mentioned to a coworker, originally from Buffalo, that I was about to visit Niagara Falls. He immediately told me what i needed to eat. He was so right!

N2EY likes this.
  6. N2EY

Beef-on-a-weck is unknown and unequaled outside that region. The situation is similar to a true Philly cheesesteak or hoagie: there's something they have in that area which is unmatched outside it.

Some folks have learned to do wings properly - but the Anchor Bar is where it all started.

......mmmmmm.......I am jonesin' for some wings, a beef-on-a-weck, and a Genny Cream Ale.....

73 de Jim, N2EY

AC8UN likes this.
  7. WA2LXB

Gads...the "green death"...been the ruin of many an upstater! We used to gig frogs at night in the summer, freeze the legs till spring, then the first warm spring day deep fry the legs and mix up some 'frog p***er' soup...chicken broth and green beans...wash it all down with green death until we couldn't remember our own names. Shortly thereafter we'd get our lanterns, waders and nets ready for smelt season.

A few weeks later we'd bust the fryer out again and down went the smelt, and out went the lights!

N2EY likes this.
  8. N2EY

Cream Ale goes down sooooo easy.......

AKA "Genesee River Water"....

Maybe the person who wired that HR-10 was under the influence.....

Don't forget the sauerkraut capital of the world - Phelps NY.

73 de Jim, N2EY

9. WA2LXB

I emailed the guy who gave me the HR-10B and he had no history on the receiver. My guess is that it had been donated to the club and never used...or turned on and it didn't work. The soldering is novice level...and mine isn't much better as I try to unsolder and resolder connections that are buried deep in a rats nest of circuits. I've got a great Hakko soldering iron and tips, but it is still tough sledding.

One blog I read said that the best thing to do with an HR-10B is to swing it by the line cord against a brick wall so one is not tempted to waste hours and hours trying to put it back together.

I understand the sentiment...but nostalgia overrules...at least for now.

K4YND and N2EY like this.
  10. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

Nay! Nobody will argue that the HR-10 is a fine radio. But they are dead easy to get going and get them working as well as the design allows. These are great radios to be first boatanchor projects.

Do add either the VR tube or zener mod to regulate the oscillator voltage. If you do that, you will have a radio that is very useful, at least on 80m - 20m.

I made several CW QSOs with mine last night on 80m and 40m. No sweat!

73 de Steve

WA2LXB likes this.