Howdy all.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W8AMD, Jul 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W8AMD

W8AMD Guest

Glad to find this place.  I haven't got my ticket yet. Why is a great question.  I've been following amateur radio for 34 years now.  Pretty well versed in basic electronic theory and no stranger to solder burns on my pants.  Spent some time in school for it and worked as a TV/Radio repairman for a few years.  Been an active swl off and on and years ago as a teen had a basic grasp on Morse.  Still never went for a ticket.

Anyway this site has re-kindled my interest.  Have took the tech test on this site about 10 times and always pass with an upper 80s to  90s score without any study.  Just knowledge gained over the years.  I will be taking that test at the nearest opportunity.  Will need to re-learn Morse before I go for a code test but I am working on that presently and it will be done!

I'm sort of a new old schooler.  New but don't think the idea of dumbing down the standards for a ticket is a good idea.  I see an amateur license as an accomplishment, not as a commodity to be given with little requirements to the masses.

While I'm waiting to take my exam I am looking for a 2m/70cm ht so I can monitor activity in my area.  I am totally unfamiliar with these upper bands so I wish to listen before I open my mouth.  HF is more what I have a little knowledge of from monitoring with my old Heathkit HR-10 receiver.  Shes an oldie but a goody.

My general aim is to work QRP CW a good part of the time on hf when duly licensed, but will be exploring other modes.  Learning,  that is what it should all be about!

Larry

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I like your attitude, Larry.
    Learning is enjoyable if one sets the mind to it.
    If I had a 2 meter transceiver to release I'd sure send it.

Morse code has been an issue for many years in amateur radio and my personal opinion is, the FCC set the requirement and that to is a learning process. An accomplishment indeed.

In my 37 years as a ham I've never heard so much complaining about the Morse code then from qrz.com and eham.net and many others. The too hard, I can't do it, it's a waste of time crap, plus many other excuses.

The Morse code is a communications mode and a good one at that. Slow and fast, however, it is slower then voice, psk, rtty and others, yet it gets the message to the receiving end.

Take your time with it, regain what you may have lost and enjoy your accomplishment.

I too should have kept some of my dear, dear shirts and trousers filled with solder, hall of fame material, comfortable.

I shall not say, good luck, learn the requirements and you'll have the skill to go further and you'll know you did it, wasn't handed to you.

Ray, k7pig.

3. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

Yes indeed Larry, I like your style.

Get that test done ASAP and join us. You sound like you're already darn near one of us, so take that next step! And the code will come easily to you too, I'm sure of it. You have the motivation, and also the maturity to know what you want, what you have to do to get it, and you will just do it and get it.

I remember the HR10 receiver. We don't see too many folks talk about them on here. You'll be the guy I see bidding on a DX60 and HG10 (vfo) on ebay I'll bet. That would be a nice recreation of the classic 1968 novice station (except that novices couldn't use the vfo then!) Plenty of new generals used that setup too though. Buying the vfo in preparation for taking the General was a ritual. I didn't have that set up at that time, but I remember looking for a vfo and getting a VF1 in time for my general. I was READY! Then they went and allowed Novices to have a vfo anyway!

Good luck Larry, we're pulling for you and waiting for you to tell us your call here soon!

4. AE4FA

AE4FA Ham Member QRZ Page

Larry, you are exactly the kind of guy we need! I look forward to the pleasure of a QRP CW QSO with you - SOON!

5. KD5ICR

KD5ICR Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome Larry.
    Good luck on getting your ticket. It is nice to see some still want to try.

6. N0PU

N0PU Guest

Larry:
    Let me be the first to welcome you to Ham Radio... for I am sure you will pass the exams without difficulty because you have the desire...

and Ham Radio is more than just a 'ticket', it is an attitude... a willingness and a desire to learn...

If you need help getting over any 'speed bumps' [I'm on a 2700 mile car trip - presently in Oregon - so highway stuff is on my mind a lot lately] there are plenty of us on here who are more than willing to aid you however we can...

One hint on the CW thing, if you don't mind - when relearning the code try to remember that 'A' is NOT DiDah .... 'A' is a series of tones that make up a single sound that you must train your brain to hear as 'A' ... Just as you hear an 'a' sound in speech as one sound [it is actually several sounds put together] 'A' in CW is ONE sound made up of 'sub-sounds' ....

This is where I missed out on CW... never could get the 'direct-link' to the brain....always have had to hear the series of sounds and then change them to what they meand [ie. 'A'] ... don't DO it... take my word for it.... it sucks that way....

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Larry, just learn to pay no attention to N0PU, MattBeers, or me, and you will do just fine. TOM K8ERV

8. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

Gee Tom, just you three? Not Glen too? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I DO agree on MB by the way, I just wish for whatever reason, he wasn't hiding in anonymity. His credibility among some would be higher. But truth be told, he really does know his stuff. Just that when the young'uns come questioning him, that anonymity makes it harder.

9. W8AMD

W8AMD Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N0PU @ July 19 2003,08:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One hint on the CW thing, if you don't mind - when relearning the code try to remember that 'A' is NOT DiDah .... 'A' is a series of tones that make up a single sound that you must train your brain to hear as 'A' ... Just as you hear an 'a' sound in speech as one sound [it is actually several sounds put together] 'A' in CW is ONE sound made up of 'sub-sounds' ....

This is where I missed out on CW... never could get the 'direct-link' to the brain....always have had to hear the series of sounds and then change them to what they meand [ie. 'A'] ... don't DO it... take my word for it.... it sucks that way....[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yeah thats the way I want to do it but my old learning is messing with the system so to speak.  I keep hearing the seperate sounds and converting in my mind.  Trying to block the old way out and learn fresh.  I will get it though.

My local area seems devoid of any shops that carry amateur equipment.  Looks like I'll have to rely on mail order/internet sources.  

Thanks for all the kind words.  Hope to see some of you on the bands soon!

Larry

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Just relax and let your mind do the work for you. It's like Harry said. The only thing that gets in the way is when you think about it too much, like trying to count the dits. A clear, relaxed mind is your best bet. Put a little Zen in your coffee. You're there already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.