How'd you learn how to swim?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KL7AJ, Mar 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw someone nearly walk on water once. A buddy and I were fishing in a tidal swamp. We were floating idly down the creek underneath a canopy of spanish moss and live oak trees. Suddenly a water moccasin plopped in the boat!:eek: Big old fat one, and he wasn't happy. Henry (my fishing friend) was on the opposite end of the boat with the oars in the bottom near us. Henry didn't hesitate: he simply dived overboard. I didn't hesitate, either! I grabbed up an oar , scooped up the snake, and sent him overboard, too. Henry let out a scream, and a "miracle" happened. Henry literally shot up out of the water as if launched to the moon!:D I could almost swear he took a couple of steps toward the gun'nels, grabbed the boat, "likened" (sic) to turned me over and was back in the boat like a flash!

"Whaddy doin' turning out that snake on ME"?, he cried.

"Well, Henry, you din' think I was gonna take him HOME with me, didja?!":D:D:D

I guess that'll make one "walk on water", eh?!:rolleyes::p

N4AAB, KE5MC and K3XR like this.
  2. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sir!, You surely can tell a fine story... I now have a keyboard to wash down. That will teach me to read and drink coffee at the same time.
    Mike

3. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

;);) You put a snake on ME, and I"m liable to walk on water, too!:D

4. N8VIL

N8VIL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was about 5 years old and was on my Dad's boat docked at the marina. I fell off the side of the boat. Everyone panicked. I swam around to the swim platform at the back of the boat and pulled myself up. From there I knew how to swim. It was either sink or swim. I chose the latter. By no means am I a pro swimmer.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Getting pushed off of a bridge by a friend.....

6. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

got into a pool and swam along the side until exhausted. grabbed the side. waited. swam until exhausted. repeat as necessary until the interval between exhausted is very long.

7. N6HCM

N6HCM Ham Member QRZ Page

an ex-boyfriend taught me. of course, back then he wasn't an ex ...

swimming is never something i've really needed. of course, i don't go out on boats either ...

8. N4AAB

N4AAB Subscriber QRZ Page

I have met a few people who cannot float. They don't fight the water, no threashing around. They lay on their back, relax, go downwards. The swimming instructor was amazed.

9. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree, its the combination of muscle mass vs. body fat. I expect they were fit individuals with very low body fat. As a teenager I could float face down with a deep breath and stay on the surface until I started to exhale and then began to sink. Likely take several pounds of lead to sink today. :)

Mike

10. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't say exactly. My mother had a pic of her and me in shallow water around July or August 1951. I was 8 mos old. My father was on the water almost all his life, and wanted his "kid" to be as well. I spent lotsa time in and on the water with them, and it got to where they couldn't get me out of it.
    I'd love to be back where salt water is a 5 minute walk away.
    Mike N3PM