How'd you learn how to swim?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KL7AJ, Mar 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

IMO the total key to learning how to swim...or for that matter just how to float for extended periods is learning how to relax in the water. I've pulled people out of the water that were so tensed up they became cramped. Relaxed muscle floats...tensed up muscles sink.

Even if you were tossed into the water by loving teachers...the fact that other people were there to assist you helped you to relax. Relaxation and slow breathing are the key. After a competitive period of long distance swimming I had a doctor doing a pulmonary analysis of my lungs for wearing respiratory gear in toxic/radioactive atmospheres tell me that my breathing pattern was similar to a whale. Huge lung capacity with slow breathing cycle. I think that was a learned property.....given of course your lungs were in good shape......like being a non smoker.

2. N2PPK

N2PPK Ham Member QRZ Page

Swimming lessons at the local pool. I guess I was 7 or 8.

3. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Long bus ride with my mom when I was 5 to the YMCA in downtown Columbus for lessons. A few years later at Boy Scout camp I saw a kid miss-step getting into a canoe. First time I saw someone nearly walk on water to get back on the dock. Water was about 20 inches deep, but kid was really scared. Later in Navy boot camp my company spent some quality time in the swimming pool. We had a few that were afraid of getting in. I never really understood enlisting in a service were you could be in a position were the closest piece of earth was 1 mile straight down. We had swim call in the India Ocean a few hundred miles off the west coast of Africa in the middle of nowhere. Treading water was no problem, it was the continuous swimming that had to be done to keep up with the ship as the current and wind carried it faster than those in the water. It was a good decision to get out of the water before tiredness really set in. Climbing the ladder back onto the ship was an ordeal. Hauling my butt up that ladder took all the "starch out of my collar". We had a gunner mate in the captains boat motoring around on "shark watch" with an M-14. Did you ever watch the Myth Busters episode where high power rifles were fired into a swimming pool and how ineffective they are underwater. Good thing I watched that decades after the open swim and not before. :)

4. N4AAB

N4AAB Ham Member QRZ Page

I learned in the town pool. Artesian well water, filtered. It was cold water. US Navy boot camp swim test, also cold water. Later on, hurricane at sea, we almost capsized. I stay off the water.

5. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably sometime after a near-drowning when I started walking towards the deep end from the shallow in Daytona Beach, Flori-duh at around age 3. Luckily, the lifeguard too his eyes off the girls long enough to save me.

6. M1CXF

M1CXF Ham Member QRZ Page

My Dad taught me to swim. The hardest part was getting out of the sack as he was good at tying knots. I'll never understand why he put those concrete blocks in with me, if ever I see him I will have to ask.

7. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

Barely! When I was a kid my folks sent me to swimming lessons for 5 straight years at the local muni pool. I have all of the floating ability of a large boulder. Except for very meager, basic swimming skills all I ever got out of the lessons were burning eyes from the chlorine and ear infections from water getting in the ear canal.

Years later when I went through Special Enforcement Training we were required to complete a basic dive team school. Barely made it through. If I had to swim 50 yards to save myself I question if I could do it.

8. WB5MG

WB5MG Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in the early 60s we had crappie houses on the lake , my granddad chunked my ass in the lake and I learned to sim quick, ah the good ole days

K3XR likes this.
  9. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Is because you actually cannot float, OR is it because you fight the water out of fear of sinking? If you claw at the water, fight desperately to keep you head up, yeah, you'll sink. If you relax, you'll float. IMHO, people don't really sink. Because they often think they must keep their heads UP out of the water every single second, they believe they are "falling" (sinking). When their heads get under the water, they often panic.

How did I first learn to swim? In a farm pond. With cows, and "whatever" else was in there!:eek::oops: But we didn't know any better, and we didn't "catch" anything--except a few fish. Then I took lessons at a local swimming lake. I wouldn't exactly call me an olympic swimmer, but I can remain afloat for a reasonable time. RE-lax.........RE-lax...Take it easy, Reee-laaaax.;)

AB8MA likes this.
  10. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

But, IMHO, that is part of the problem! Trying TOO hard to keep one's head above water. You have to learn to "trust" the water and let it work WITH you instead of against you. Many people panic at the get-go and "claw" at the water desperately.