How'd you learn how to swim?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KL7AJ, Mar 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

And if at first you don't succeed---

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

K9ASE likes this.
  2. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I swim like a set of car keys

K3XR likes this.
  3. K8ERV

The secret to swimming and floating is to keep your lungs full.

Air is better than water.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

WD0BCT, K9ASE and AB8MA like this.
  4. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I learned by the "sink or swim" method. My father put a pair of too-large fins on me and put me in the deep end of the pool (the same one where they train the SEALS in Coronado.) It worked and both my brother and myself went on to have water-related careers, me as a diver and my brother as a lifeguard. Both of us were competitive swimmers in school.

As a US Navy Diver, I saw a lot of people that were initially uncomfortable in the water, but they all managed to overcome it in training. Myself, I had trouble initially learning how to equalize my ears. It was difficult in SCUBA because of wearing a hood, but in the hard hat it was easy. Diving was some best times I had in the Navy.

WD0BCT likes this.
  5. WD3N

WD3N Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for your service.
    SEMPER ...........

6. K8ERV

While scuba diving I had a 35# (?) grouper nibble my ear and on another occasion a nurse shark sniff my shoulder. Scary.

I guess they thot so too cause they backed away.!

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

You reminded me of my cousin Edie when her father my uncle Jack tossed her off their dock into the back bay in Atlantic City living on the water they were concerned she could fall in and drown she learned quickly after that it was hard to keep her out of the water.

For me it was living about a mile from the local lake and spending many summers there it just sorta happened.

8. K8PG

K8PG Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems like I always new how to swim,
    I was a instructor at BUDS in 1971 was hard to believe so many could not swim a stroke.

9. W7EDC

W7EDC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Me too.. and I am still uncomfortable around water :(

10. W7EDC

W7EDC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

yowza.. a BUDS instructor? GOOD ON YA MATE, AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR SACRIFICES! Honestly thank you Paul, God Bless.