How'd you learn how to swim?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KL7AJ, Mar 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was always a good swimmer....I really can't remember not knowing how to swim. I guess that's not as common as I thought.

In sixth grade we lived in Washington, and I was in Boy Scouts. To get my lifesaving merit badge, a bunch in our troop went to Bremerton Naval Station for more "advanced" swimming lessons, which consisted of some crusty old Navy guy throwing us off a 30 foot platform into a pool. "Swim punks!" I guess it worked....none of us drowned that I remember.

Anyway....being landlocked in Fairbanks, I don't get to do much body-surfing like I used to. And the closest I ever get to sailing is....well, let's say that unless I build my Viking ship and sail it up the Chena River, it's not going to happen.

So the the closest topic I could find to "at sea" is this here "on the road" thread. I really want to do some hamming on the ocean, which I haven't done since 1974. How many seafaring hams do we have on board anyway?

YD7MHA likes this.
  2. AB8MA

AB8MA Subscriber QRZ Page

Everybody says that a living human being floats. I don't.

W7EDC and K9ASE like this.
  3. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

My grandparents had a house on a fantastic lake. I learned how to swim there. I remember being in the lake when I was so young all I could do was 'dog paddle' and how proud I was of myself when I could finally 'overhand' swim. I could always swim underwater well, that came natural for me. I could also hold my breath for a long time, which helped.

4. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Got pushed in as a tyke! :) No lessons.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

That explains a LOT!

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

K9ASE and KD4MOJ like this.
  6. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Heh. My parents put me in swim lessons when I was really young. I don't remember much, other than the drains in the bottom of the indoor pool and the hand wheel on the diving board were scary, and I thought I was going to get sucked down the drain. Some kid pooped in the pool, and that was the end of the swim lessons.

Until I was 5 or 6, I clung to the side of my aunt's pool and ground all the meat off the tips of my toes. Eventually I learned to swim.

7. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

they all do...eventually :D

(springtime was called "floater season" off Brooklyn)

K9ASE likes this.
  8. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Besides jumping off the end of a dock when I was about 2, I believe I got my start at our local YMCA.

Which, coincidentally, also hosted the local ham club, K2YNT.

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Me too. My grandmother was a good teacher.

10. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

Get a boat into the Chena and do some wake surfing. Then go up to the hot springs to warm up afterwards.

John WD5IKX

W7EDC likes this.