ad: Flexradio-1

How'd you learn how to swim?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KL7AJ, Mar 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was always a good swimmer....I really can't remember not knowing how to swim. I guess that's not as common as I thought.

In sixth grade we lived in Washington, and I was in Boy Scouts. To get my lifesaving merit badge, a bunch in our troop went to Bremerton Naval Station for more "advanced" swimming lessons, which consisted of some crusty old Navy guy throwing us off a 30 foot platform into a pool. "Swim punks!" I guess it worked....none of us drowned that I remember.

Anyway....being landlocked in Fairbanks, I don't get to do much body-surfing like I used to. And the closest I ever get to sailing is....well, let's say that unless I build my Viking ship and sail it up the Chena River, it's not going to happen.

So the the closest topic I could find to "at sea" is this here "on the road" thread. I really want to do some hamming on the ocean, which I haven't done since 1974. How many seafaring hams do we have on board anyway?

YD7MHA likes this.
  2. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Everybody says that a living human being floats. I don't.

W7EDC and K9ASE like this.
  3. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

My grandparents had a house on a fantastic lake. I learned how to swim there. I remember being in the lake when I was so young all I could do was 'dog paddle' and how proud I was of myself when I could finally 'overhand' swim. I could always swim underwater well, that came natural for me. I could also hold my breath for a long time, which helped.

4. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Got pushed in as a tyke! :) No lessons.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

5. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

That explains a LOT!

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

K9ASE and KD4MOJ like this.
  6. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Heh. My parents put me in swim lessons when I was really young. I don't remember much, other than the drains in the bottom of the indoor pool and the hand wheel on the diving board were scary, and I thought I was going to get sucked down the drain. Some kid pooped in the pool, and that was the end of the swim lessons.

Until I was 5 or 6, I clung to the side of my aunt's pool and ground all the meat off the tips of my toes. Eventually I learned to swim.

7. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

they all do...eventually :D

(springtime was called "floater season" off Brooklyn)

K9ASE likes this.
  8. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Besides jumping off the end of a dock when I was about 2, I believe I got my start at our local YMCA.

Which, coincidentally, also hosted the local ham club, K2YNT.

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Me too. My grandmother was a good teacher.

10. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

Get a boat into the Chena and do some wake surfing. Then go up to the hot springs to warm up afterwards.

John WD5IKX

W7EDC likes this.
  11. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

My parents ran a Hotel, so in the Summer we went to the beach every afternoon.

I just taught myself to swim in the sea . . . used a rubber ring til I was about 5, then could swim without it.

I taught both my daughters to swim in a pool from when they babies (we'd go at least once a week) . . . both could swim without armbands by the time they were 3 !

Like me, they both love the water . . . on holidays they spend 80% of the time on the beach in the sea. They also love Aquaparks, and I've taught them both to Windsurf.

So the secret is to start young . . . then you have no fears about it !

I could never imagine living far from the sea . . . even in Winter I go to a great cafe down on the beach.

When I was headhunted and got offered a job right up North (where I now live) the first thing I did was check out the beaches. If they were bad I wouldn't have accepted the job!

(things like that are important to me . . . same as not buying a house with no antenna possibilities!)

Roger G3YRO

K9ASE likes this.
  12. AE7BT

AE7BT Ham Member QRZ Page

Honestly, I don’t remember.

13. WA3QGD

WA3QGD Ham Member QRZ Page

Picked it up real fast after figuring out how to get out of the sack

14. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

Swimming lessons at the city park pool then the Boy Scouts for advanced swimming and life saving and the mile swim.

John WD5IKX

15. WD3N

WD3N Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was 4 years old...fell in the spring pool in February .(40 degrees):eek:
    I learned to swim real fast.:rolleyes:
    I'm still a good swimmer.:p

K9ASE likes this.