Howard MIlls going out of restoration business

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by K4KYV, Feb 2, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I just received an e-mail from the New-oldstock list, that Howard Mills W3HM at age 75 has decided to retire from his radio restoration and sales business.

Howard has a large inventory of equipment to dispose of. Although he would prefer one person to take it all, he might be open to piecing some of it out. He emphasised that this equipment would not be sold at fire-sale prices. Below is a partial list, some of it restored and some 'as is', and there is a lot more. I would presume he has a substantial stock of parts and maybe some equipment carcasses as well, and that any sales would pick-up only, but for further information contact Howard directly at (240) 818-2377.

3 BC610's
    Collins 20V3
    Collins 300G
    Many Collins 75A1's 2's 3's and 4's; at least 3 75A4's are restored and ready to go
    R390's
    R390A's ( couple are restored and ready to ship )
    S-Lines
    KWM1's
    KWM'2s
    KWS-1's
    AR-88's
    Siemens 311B RX
    R389 RX
    many EH Scott console radios already restored
    2 Collins 30K4
    2 Collins 30J
    many Collins 270G series speakers

N2EY likes this.
  2. KX5JT

KX5JT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My tax refund isn't enough, darn. :)

73 de KX5JT

W1BR and N2ZD like this.
  3. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

GOOD OLD RADIOMEN ARE RETIRING IN DROVES!
    RICK MISH AKA MILTRONIX PULLED THE PLUG ON ME AND MY WORK HE HAD IN HIS CHARGE TWO MONTHS AGO.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Add to the list the best Heathkit service guy ever - Ron Oxley - he retired this time last year

Dave
    W7UUU

5. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Howard has always had a months' long backlog, and a problem saying "no" to people who would come to him with rigs needing repairs. I visited him several times at his place in Harper's Ferry, and he had a two-car garage FILLED with transmitters and receivers on the waiting list. I joked that even if he said "no" on the telephone because he was so backed up, I bet people would drop off a rig, ring the doorbell and run, hoping he'd accept their baby-in-a-basket.

But the height of it was the time he told me he got on the air with his Gates broadcast transmitter, and was enjoying a QSO when the phone rang. Some customer, hearing that he was on the air, had the audacity ask him why he wasn't working on his rig instead. WHOOO ! And if you know Howard, you can hear him telling that story.

I will have to drop him a note of appreciation. He has done-up several of my rigs, including a 32V2, two R390s, and two R390A. Master craftsman when it comes to repair and restoration. His work will live long past all of us.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  6. W0OGH

W0OGH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Tax refund? How do you get one of those?

KD8DEY likes this.
  7. W0OGH

W0OGH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Drool! And of course he's across the country from me. He repaired/overhauled my R-388 years back. New front panel or at least it looks like it/ cleaned it all up and calibrated the bands etc. Looks and works like new and got the paperwork to show his work. It would be fun to just go and look at all that good stuff sitting there probably the likes of which i will never see in one spot. 73 Howard and thanks.

8. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Like everyone else. cheat, lie, and creative writing.

9. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For a while, Howard was looking at the age of the client and moving those of the elderly to the head of the line. It seems that several clients had died before he got around to their units! His backlog sometimes was measured in years, not months.

Although I have never even tried to acquire the number of clients that Howard has / had, my repair / restoration turn around has been a number of months for some time. With a number of health setbacks, I have had to virtually shut down my endeavors in that area. I will be 76 next week and have several medical procedures that are going to happen in the next few weeks.

As AFT says, those very few of us, who still work on "boat anchors", are retiring left and right. I am still hanging in there. But, my turn around absolutely stinks. The problem is that there just is not anyone that I can really recommend to do the work.

Glen, K9STH

K3XR likes this.
  10. K5EMG

K5EMG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

or overpaid taxes, like me. I always put 10 extra bucks weekly for uncle Sam, so I don't have to paid taxes in one big slump during taxes season.