How wide is wide?

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W8AAZ, Jun 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The best fix is a high dipole, a lot of power and audio processing. Don't let piss weakers go on forever. There have been a few times when I've told a p.w. operator he has a 60 second time limit. Explain politely that he is piss weak and we can't hold the frequency if he talks a long time. After 60 seconds move on whether he's done or not. They don't like it but too bad. Operate when the band is less crowded or get a better antenna/rig/audio. Everyone's equal on the internet. On radio, it's capitalistic (although there's always been some who want the guvment to change that).

2. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Why is it so important for you to get to say what you want to say, but someone who can only run 100 watts has to be off in 60 seconds?
    There are people who run 24 fet rigs that might think YOU are a 60 second guy.

And true, its also rude to make a long transmission at low power, but unless its one on one its rude to make a long transmission anyway.

I have come to realize if I do not get to make my very important transmission, I can do it tomorrow, or the next day,
    or some time over the next 10 or 25 years...the world will just have to wait.

AG5CK and WA5VGO like this.
  3. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Lack of adequate signal is a topic that strays from this posting, but most people are self-conscious when they break in at a couple dozen watts. I treat them gently; they get it. Sometimes someone will come along who doesn't realize they are not being heard as well as they're hearing others. Group behavior often overlooks such a check-in to begin with, which gets the point across. Then there was the time the guy on slopbucket tried to participate in the AM Swap Net. I won't mention any names, but W3BJZ was run off the frequency rather quickly. There's tape, and it's hilarious.

WB2CAU and WZ5Q like this.
  4. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

I do appreciate honest signal reporting. I've been in a few large round tables where a couple of people were barely above the noise floor and no one else will tell them. It's obvious when they're just talking at each other and not having a real conversation.

5. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm a huge fan of AM over SSB, but I only use it when there is plenty of space on the band available for it. Of late, 40m has been jam-packed at night, so I packed amplitude modulation away on 40m.

Now, if I'm using AM and someone comes in right next to me and starts complaining while there is plenty of clear areas on the band. Yeah, well. It's first come first serve. Get off my lawn!

If I notice band is starting to fill up, I will drop down to SSB without a word from any other ham about it. It's called common courtesy. I would hope other fellow hams would do the same for me.

6. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's go through your post and analyze it rationally:
    I never said anything about it being important that I get to say anything. So, you're starting off with a baseless assumption.
    I never gave any power level definition of piss weak. Actually 100 watts is not too bad. All sorts of circumstances can lead to an operator having a piss weak signal. He can be: mobile, have a crappy antenna, low power, low modulation level, long run of lossy feedline....or combinations of the above. There are times when a station who is a strapper isn't due to propagation, but my experience has been that those times are brief and infrequent.
    That could very well be true. I made no claim to being a "tall ship." I have a rather average ham station by AM standards. I try to do my best with my resources. Piss weakers from my experience usually fall below average in at least one key criteria needed for a decent signal: poor audio, carrier power < 50 watts, or tx antenna that is severely compromised. Examples might be a dipole horizontal and extremely low for its wavelength, a vertical with no radials, or some sort of matching network and feedline that loses a large fraction of the transmitter's power ahead of the antenna feed point.
    I disagree, but that's not relevant.
    Excellent, however I'm not sure what that has to do with holding a frequency during a congested time of day when there's a lot of adjacent frequency QRM, hams looking for a clear space to fire up and call CQ, and a station in a round table who wants to do 10 minutes when no one can copy him. My solution is to politely explain the circumstances and give him a time limit. By the way I'm fixing up an old Ranger 1 and I plan to put it on the air once I get the audio worked out. I fully expect to make everyone miserable on 75 meters, but not for long, hi.

7. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish I could hear it!

8. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Why not just drop on down to CW. One SSB signal takes up enough bandwidth to accommodate five CW QSOs!

AG5CK likes this.
  9. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm working on it! I'm just not at the point I can make QSOs on CW yet. :(

10. WB2GCR

WB2GCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Notice how the original poster seems to have "gone away"?