ad: vanity

How wide is wide?

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W8AAZ, Jun 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Who or what is "Prime"? I occasionally tune across 11m with my general coverage receiver and rarely ever hear any activity.

2. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

There are lots of jackasses with ham tickets. FCC doesn't require a letter from a shrink saying the applicant is mentally fit before issuing a license to him (but maybe they should). So there are a lot of hams out there with head problems. Being too wide is minor if intentional, compared to other cases. Listen to a rare DX pileup and all the sociopaths deliberately causing QRM on the DX transmit frequency. If there were dozens of AM operators transmitting 9 or 10 kc audio it would be worth mentioning. One ham? Don't let that rent space in your head.

BTW some AM operators with SDR panadapters piss and moan about other AM operators being too wide. There is some self-policing. But some of these fellows have been wide wide wide for years and it wasn't a problem until someone else got a SDR fish finder display and could see it (not hear it).

AG5CK likes this.
  3. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Something that has aggravated me for decades of operating AM, is when the band is relatively uncongested but a group of slopbucketeers decide to fire up right next to an AM QSO, only a couple of kc/s away from the carrier frequency, then proceed to piss 'n moan about the "AM splatter" even though there may be 5, 10 or 15 kc/s of vacant space immediately above and below.

K5UJ, AF7XT and AD5HR like this.
  4. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh that’s not limited to being an AM problem. The low bands have been so poor that often there are maybe four or six ongoing QSOs on the whole band, yet people will fire up 1kHz inside the passband of an ongoing QSO anyway. The best is listening to them complain about how noisy the band is the whole time.

People don’t even know the sound of a busy frequency, how to move away or for that matter how to tune a SSB signal. It’s baffling.

5. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

With modern radios, you can get very close to an AM signal on ssb without it being a problem.
    If you have an sdr, you often can see ssb signals VERY close to each other or close to an AM signal.
    I have switched to ssb to see what the ssb guys were talking about, and could not tell an AM qso was in progress next door.
    So how are they to know, they assume its good.
    Part of the problem seems to be everyone jumps to think its intentional, like when the guys out west start skipping in, how rude to
    operate on our frequency when its in use! We were here first!

A bunch of grumpy old men quick to get angry and blame others these days.

KD2ACO likes this.
  6. W2VW

W2VW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The easy fix for this lidsmanship is to make up a net name to claim exclusive use of frequencies based on fake importance of said net.

Be sure to use specific words like fellowship and oasis when describing said net.

AG5CK, AC0OB and KC2RGW like this.
  7. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This has baffled me for years also. Propagation shifts.

“Hey, Bro... the world turns, eh?”

So does my VFO! :p

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  8. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not so, but what IS rude is the following:

An SSB group starts operating on 7.2880 on USB when an AM QSO as been ongoing for over an hour, or when an SSB group starts up on 3.883 LSB when an AM QSO as been ongoing for over an hour?

You can't tell me that they cannot see nor hear an adjacent AM QSO when they are that close.:rolleyes:

Pheel

KW6LA and KC2RGW like this.
  9. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes it is so, not to say it is always un intentional, sometimes it is.
    Ham radio is boring for some and causes the need to start trouble for amusement, which works in all modes.
    But I imagine some ssb operators will cozy up to the next qso (on any mode) unknowing.
    I often hear people on 40 meters answer Joe (N4RXV) calling cq on 7290 not knowing he is on AM, and then pushing the AM button for the first time
    and having an AM qso.
    I have heard that many times, they have no idea what or where AM is.

I have often switched to ssb close to an AM qso and could not hear the AM qso.
    In a war between AM and ssb its hard to win over the ssb.

10. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

I like your thinking but I'm afraid that won't work. Some of the local AM group move up 5kc and use LSB during their net. I think it goes beyond simple math.

AC0OB likes this.