how to work xr0yg from 7 land...

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by AE7F, Mar 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. AE7F

AE7F Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't even try to contact them until after 2330z. By then, the pileup is massive.

I have a very good antenna (spiderbeam) at only 25ft and am running barefoot. I am pointing the beam about 180. I have heard them strong on 10m, 12, and 20m, ranging from S3 to S9+. I can follow them up and down the split just fine. I have varied CW speed and timing but alas, I think I'm getting knocked out by the KWers. The pileup strength at my station is amazing.

I think with my rig/antenna, even while barefoot, I should be putting out a nice signal that direction. I recently cracked the T2YY pileup without too much effort....

So the question is, what else can I try that might help me log a contact?

2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Persistence & right place @ right time... I've similar problem (100w / dipoles) & find I have best luck calling just 2 or 3 khz above his freq. I figure he's got to "turn around" somewhere !! Strictly speaking cw only here,... I use a straight key at about 15 - 20 wpm. You'd be surprised how a little bit slower speed stands out ! When someone calls the DX at 40 wpm , I'm just finishing MY call, & it's surprising how many times I've heard "BIB?" & made the contact. "Dare to be different"...:cool: Ain't it fun ??? 73 'BIB.....

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  3. N7SMI

N7SMI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm just a couple hundred miles north of you with a very similar setup (Hexbeam at 30 feet with 100 watts). I've worked them on 12 and 15 meters in no more than 3 minutes in the MASSIVE pileups. There's probably some luck involved, but I just listen for a minute until I hear a station reply to them, quickly move just above where they were at, and have got them in 2 calls both times.

The pileups are thinning out a bit, but you'd better put in some seat time because you have just another day to get them in the log.

4. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just worked them on 15m cw. 50W with a 43' vertical.
    They are a true 599 here. Came right back to me tx 1.3khz up.

Keep trying.

5. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations! I see you made a QSO with XR0YG on 17M!

My experience is the opposite of BIB--I've had really good luck cranking up the speed!

Zack W1VT

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  6. AE7F

AE7F Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was just going to check their log this morning and you are right, I did make it in. Got them at about 0011, so a little before their sunset. Much like the T2YY pileup, I only spent a few minutes to get the contact.

On this occasion, I was listening at 18.079.39 and my TX was way up on 18.083.93. I also matched the speed they were sending. Does anyone else get the feeling it's like a slot machine? You keep pulling the handle while thinking about the odds?

The spiderbeam has been a heck of an antenna. Made from PVC pipe and fishing poles, this month marks a year that it has been in the air. It has netted all kinds of DX. I know I was loud enough out on that island. In the end, I think there has to be some luck in the timing....

7. AE7F

AE7F Ham Member QRZ Page

I checked out your sites. Looks like your hex is working very, very well for DX. Fantastic QSL card photo also...

8. AE7F

AE7F Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you like that 43 foot vertical? I need something for 160-30. I'm considering loading up my crank up mast for 80/40/30. With the spiderbeam on top, I might have a decent performer on 160 and 80....

9. N7SMI

N7SMI Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks. I put the hexbeam up in August and have worked 164 entities with it in the last 7 months.

XR0YG is now QRT. They put on a great operation!

10. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats on logging them.

The vertical is DX Engineering DXE-MBVE-1-4UP. I have a few radials laid out for 20 through 40M. It's a relatively new antenna for me. So far so good. I have not tried it on 80 or 160 yet. I'm limited as to how high I can get a wire antenna(30ft) so I went vertical. I may never go back. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.