How to Use the "DTMF Encode" strings in Anytone HT

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KD0YMG, Jan 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KD0YMG

KD0YMG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm looking for help on transmitting DTMF sequences from the Anytone AT-D868. My main purpose here is repeater control, such as turning the tone requirement on/off, but there are certainly other uses. And the point here is to store frequently used sequences, and recall them, rather than sending them using the keypad.

As far as I can tell, 2Tone and 5Tone aren't useful for this.

The area of interest to me is the "DTMF Encode" section of the DTMF panel, in the radio programming software, as indicated in the image file below. It is possible to enter up to 16 sequences here. But I can't find any way to reference them for transmission. It would be great to set up a hotkey, for example, that brings up a list I can scroll through and select.

Does anyone know of a way to do this?
    868dtmf.jpg

2. PU5VEN

PU5VEN Ham Member QRZ Page

You have to assign this ID to a channel

upload_2021-1-13_17-10-37.png

3. KD0YMG

Thanks. But ... then, do what with it? How do I tell the radio to transmit it? And what about having multiple sequences for a single repeater? I have 9 for one repeater where I'm an alternate control operator. I need 9 channels?

4. PU5VEN

PU5VEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, key up the PTT to transmit

5. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The scroll list will be a zone. Something like "Rpt Cntrl Codes". In that zone you will have all your channels, each with a different DTMF code assigned. Give each channel a name representing the associated DTMF code function. Not particularly memory efficient as you will have to program several channels with the same information except for DTMF code. Not much different on the digital side for TalkGroups.
    Good Luck!

6. KD0YMG

I programmed a 70cm simplex channel, with the Optional Signal = DTMF, and the DTMF ID = 1. When I bring up that channel and key up, it does not transmit the DTMF sequence. I noticed that unlike other analog simplex channels I have, after a brief delay when I let off the key, there's a "call ended" message on the screen. However, the DTMF sequence isn't displayed on the screen, and I don't hear it, even though I have side tone on. I verified by listening on another radio that no audio is transmitted.

If manually transmit DTMF using the keypad, I hear it on both the side tone and the other radio.

7. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Why can't you manually dial the control codes instead of trying to use DTMF ANI?
    Do you really want your radio sending the same DTMF code every time you key up?

8. KE5MC

I would try changing some of the DTMF tone setting. A manual keypress is going to be longer than what I see are the defaults. I would try a couple of seconds to see if that helps. Are manual tone heard on the other radio?

9. KE5MC

I would say yes if the control DTMF zone is selected and one of the preprogrammed for remote control channels has DTMF turned on.

10. KD0YMG

I've played around with some other DTMF stuff, using analog call, and when I invoke that, it's fully audible, and it does transmit. It also does follow the timing settings in the DTMF dialog.

KE5MC likes this.