ad: cq2k-1

How to Use an SWR Meter (Video)

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by G3YWX, Aug 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. G3YWX

G3YWX Ham Member QRZ Page

Standing wave ratio is an important aspect for any ham radio station. If the SWR is too high then it can either damage the output stage of the transmitter(and I have does that before now), or if it has protection circuit which most modern rigs have then it can cause it to reduce its power.

Using an SWR meter helps understand how the feeder and antenna system is performing so that the whole station vswr-meter-2837.jpg can operate to its best.

Find out how to use an SWR meter in this video:

N6QIC likes this.
  2. N6QIC

N6QIC Ham Member QRZ Page

I already know how to use an SWR meter. I took a (8) week course at a local collage and barely passed. :)

W5BIB likes this.
  3. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I figured that you'd say you "Skated" through it !! ;)

N6QIC likes this.
  4. ZELDAELLA

ZELDAELLA QRZ Member

I watched your video and I can summarize it as

• For the first-time use, you should choose a low-power but a clear channel. This will make the job much easier for you
    • Then, you need to reduce the power emitted from the transmitter, in case the SWR is poor to avoid damages to devices.
    • To maintain a constant reading, change the mode switch to the mode that steady output is produced
    • Next, on the front, you will find the SWR switch and the switch it to FORWARD. Remember to turn the adjustment knob down to avoid overworking the meter.
    • To adjust the forward reading, use the same adjustment knob as mentioned above.
    • Next, switch the meter to the reverse mode and read the SWR value
    • After you are done with it, quickly stop the transmission to prevent any interference and reduce the load.
    • Repeat the steps with other frequencies to check.