ad: UR5CDX-1

How to use a Manual Tuner

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Aug 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

good advice my friend. However, I had a new ham who asked me about antennas and said he was confused about to put up. I said first examine what space you have and go from there. So I helped him put up dipoles for 80,40,15 and 10 meters and then a hygain vertical that was given to him. This was a number of years ago. Then he asked " what about that big CB ANTENNA on the roof? I said yes that will work on 10 meters as well. So to my surprise, he loaded up the CB RADIO antenna on the roof on 10 and 15 meters! The first day got on CW on 15 meters with the dipole, he worked japan. Japan was his first QSO. He was so excited! Then he asked that all these homemade antennas are made for about the center of the bands and about antenna tuners and if needs to put up more antennas for the general class bands. At that time he bought a miller tuner without a meter so he used out broad meters. Far as I know today still uses the same set up he started back in 1986.

N3RYB and G0CIQ like this.
  2. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Should be 'Friend [comma] or Foe?'

3. M7BLC

M7BLC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have resurrected an old scrap Global AT1000 manual tuner and played with it over the past couple of weeks in an attempt to get better performance -especially reception - and whilst it is much more involved in it's use than an ATU it actually works very well, with a different sound to the noise floor I am plagued with (sadly no reduction in the S level). This allows me to pick out fainter signals that would have been otherwise unreadable and can be manually tweaked as well for best reception. I guess it's no longer scrap and I have written down all of the settings that work to pin on the shack wall. Whilst I am forced to use compromised antennas I guess it has become another useful tool in my DX 10 watt armoury :) .

4. WB4M

WB4M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use my analyzer too.. like you say, no QRM and very accurate.

5. WB4M

WB4M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a very old Dentron MT-2000A. The instructions for it say to first center the xmit and ant caps and then rotate the inductor for loudest noise. That gets you fairly close, then adjust the capacitors for lowest SWR. 73.

W3KKO likes this.
  6. M0MNE

M0MNE Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, quick search shows me none of that stuff is available new. Here in UK it's basically a choice between MFJ or Palstar or nothing. I'm really struggling to find anything alternative as the market is pretty niche.

7. W3KKO

W3KKO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good job sir! I have an old MFJ 962C made before the roller inductor model was introduced. She's no shelf queen, but will tune-a-fish. Sorry, couldn't resist. I like my LDG Z-11 Pro II but sometimes it won't give anywhere near the lowest SWR and I need to tweak the settings by pressing C up or down. 73 all, stay safe!

8. KE9HS

KE9HS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If MFJ did not exist, there would be numerous ham radio accessories that you could not buy at a modest price or not at all. I could see fewer people getting into ham radio, due to the scarce selection of ham products from radio suppliers. There are a lot of "sold out" products right now (especially vertical antennas that require aluminum). A new operator can always upgrade later when you learn that the used or modest price new piece of equipment (tuner, antennas, analyzers, etc.) works for him or her. I have bought several ham radio products in the past at high cost that later I determined that I really did not need it. :eek:

KM4OZ, M0MNE and WA4JHE like this.
  9. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

very cool. space is a big factor these days. this is why i like the ground mounted verticals. loops usually are easier to fit. i think my lot is 100x80 and i have 270 feet of wire that fits easily but a 80m dipole is hard to fit in comparison.

WN1MB and KA1BSZ like this.
  10. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have always preferred to use a manual tuner instead of an automatic tuner built-in the radio, or an external manual tuner. I think they are more accurate and sensitive; plus the meters, you can watch real time what is going on forward and back. I have used a few MFJ products, and never had any issues. For my ICOM IC-705, I do use the MAT III tuner, due to the size and it's nice to have a little insurance even with a resonant antenna.

11. M0TTQ

M0TTQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Kenwood AT-230s seem to come up every few weeks on Ebay for less than £200 final bid. I have one and if I had any incandescent lightbulbs, I am sure it would tune them. I have seen Yaesu FC-102 tuners come up too. I like the look of the "big" Palstar tuners but running 100W they are an overkill.

12. WB9AZA

WB9AZA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You get what you pay for. Palstar tuners are well built indeed. My AT1500DT has worked flawlessly for 15 years. My MFJ 962 bought before the Palstar lasted a week.

13. KM4OZ

KM4OZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had a MFJ 259 for like 35 years. When I first started using it I thought it was "junk" because it had intermittent problems. I got fed up and opened it up to see about scavenging parts and Lo-and-Behold! A screw sitting on- top-of/between Cap plates. Pulling that out, the thing has worked perfectly since. So not "junk", but not great quality control! Everything else by them has been fine- exceeding expectations. Appreciate the fine points by OP, thanks.

14. KZ4TN

KZ4TN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've used a few MFJ tuners and meters over the years and I have not had any problems with them. They offer a lower price point that is beneficial to new hams on a budget. I am currently using an MFJ-872 SWR/Wattmeter with my LDG Z-11Pro II and the combination is great. Having the meter monitor my power out and SWR frees up the meter in my transceiver for other duties like monitoring my ALC level.

15. YG1ARX

YG1ARX Ham Member QRZ Page

thank you for sharing..great