How to test for tuning capacitor watts

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by CAMERART, Oct 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. CAMERART

CAMERART QRZ Member

Hi M,
    No I simply forgot which way it works.
    C

2. CAMERART

CAMERART QRZ Member

Hi K,
    I think it goes out of match in different location situations, I'll see what happens.
    C

3. GM3ZMA

GM3ZMA Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a little bit late to this thread, but I have just found a snippet of information which may be relevant.

While reading something about Q measurements by W7ZOI, I noticed that he made some comments about a polyvaricon capacitor which he tested as part of his investigations into the Q of various capacitors and inductors.

The document by W7ZOI is here:
    http://w7zoi.net/twofaces.pdf

The interesting part is on page 19 of the document where he says:

With that in mind, it could be that the polyvaricon tuning capacitors from transistor radios are a very poor choice for use in a simple ATU, even one which is only ised for low power (<5Watts).

As a side note, my thanks to VK2TIL in this thread:
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/using-vna-to-measure-coil-inductance.681215/
    for bringing the Q measurements document to my notice.

Jim GM3ZMA

4. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good going !!! Even if it is me, once in a while.

Ed

KD0CAC likes this.
  5. AA5MT

AA5MT Ham Member QRZ Page

Cushcraft used to make the Skywalker monoband antennas. They used a series capacitor with a thick dielectric. The plates were about a foot long. In effect, it looks much like RG-8 with a solid sleeve. I suspect the reason they were discontinued was that it could not take the power. At least over a long period. You can get a manual on the Cushcraft Help Desk.

Tom

6. CAMERART

CAMERART QRZ Member

Hi J,
    Thanks for the links.

I have looked at all this for years, and it doesn't get remembered unless, I try it live, by experiment. I'll have a 'play' soon.

I've added the little metal plate cap into the box, and I hope to test it.
    C

7. CAMERART

CAMERART QRZ Member

Hi T,
    "A foot long"! I won't really fit in the 2inch box I have, but thanks.
    C