How to tell I you broke a crystal filter.

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by N1RND, Oct 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

2. N1RND

N1RND Ham Member QRZ Page

That is some good information, I'll try the first one since it is the easiest.
    Did the rattle test=OK.
    The big hammer test is a last resort, hi, hi.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you give more details about how you managed to drop the filter on concrete ?

I think that would be a good lesson for us, On what not to do. :)

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

"Golf words" are ALWAYS four letters, but may contain multiple iterations:(:eek:.

5. N1RND

N1RND Ham Member QRZ Page

I violated my own golden rule, never handle parts close to the edge of the work bench.
    Ever notice if you drop a tiny or one of a kind fastener on the cellar floor by your feet it will usually go under the bench 8 out of 10 times. Instead of the middle of the floor where you can easily find it.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the Update / Warning.

You need a ESD mat at your workbench for protection.

Stuff will bounce around on a good ESD mat. :)

7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Typically two of them? No, more like 6 or 8.

1950s-60s lattice filters used 4 to 6 crystals. Since then, the trend has been to 6 or 8 crystal filters. Also ladder filters rather than lattice filters.

8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Old trick here if you want a benchtop that's no-bounce AND ESD protected. My bench is covered with indoor outdoor carpet, which I give a good spritzing with Downey Fabric Softener, which is anti static. You DO have to re-apply every morning though. Very effective....and measurable.

9. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Are they really ladder designs now? I did not realize that. The ladder design originally allowed you to use cheap CB crystals, all on the same frequency. :) I guess it worked better than I thought.

10. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup. My Tentec has ladder filters. It's almost 40 yrs old. I know they're ladders, because they're not in a shield can.