how to stop...Dust in the Shack?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W9RAC, Jan 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Back in my glory days, we determined that the most effective way to control dust in TV transmitters was by using negative pressure ventilation.
    The cooling air was pulled from the cabinet ceilings with air filters on the doors.
    Most TV transmitter sites were like dust bowls, you couldn't keep anything clean and this method seemed to work.
    If there were an inlet air filter and an exhaust fan from the shack venting back into an adjoining room, even a slow, quiet fan, just enough to move the air and create a small negative pressure in the shack, it might help with dust and not disrupt the heating/cooling temps.

2. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There is a return air vent in the room and of course the inlet vent in the floor. I live rural, in a forest. One would not think much dust is out in the woods but it is. I have a couple of night vision cams and the infrared really shows the dust floating around out there, even in the winter while its wet out. The air purifier has made a difference in a week or so with dust being on the equipment. It's not all gone but its reduced noticeably. RAC

W1TRY likes this.
  3. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

That is precisely what I do regularly... in a manner of speaking... Though I am a relatively new ham, I've been a lifelong wannabe and general technical nerd. Even before the radios, my man cave had an unreasonable number of computers and other electronic things to confuse and befuddle my then wife. Living in the dry farm lands of southern Idaho, dust gets in EVERYTHING and there's just no real way to prevent it short of building a class A clean room and demanding protocols for entry and exit.

I got used to taking my equipment apart ever 1 to 3 months and taking it out to the shop to use the compressed air to blow the crap out of the cooling fins, fans and keyboards. Even now that I live in the relatively moist Puget Sound, we have our own unique dust generators and regular blow outs are still required. As NN4RH pointed out, there are a LOT of sources for dust.

There is one thing you might try... They aren't cheap, but have you considered an electrostatic air cleaner for your house instead of the hepa filters?

4. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Cats have ALWAYS frowned upon it.... ;)

5. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you have cat(s) and/or dog(s) you'll never win... It's a constant battle. Every day have to dust and sweep the floors.

de NK2U

W9RAC likes this.
  6. W9RAC

Your correct but I would not consider not having Andy. 73 Rich 20160123_205313.jpg

7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

how to stop...Dust in the Shack?

Stop flatulence from seniors... :D

8. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

I love my Amaircare 4000... I couldn't possibly recommend it enough!

W9RAC likes this.
  9. K0MB

K0MB Ham Member QRZ Page

One word: Soaker Hose. Let it run when your not in the shack,it'll keep the dust down!

W1TRY and W9RAC like this.
  10. W9RAC

That's a great idea, what about the water bill? Isn't that two words?