how to stop...Dust in the Shack?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W9RAC, Jan 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use Swiffer cloth dust wipes to clean the dust off my equipment. I do this about once a month or so. I don’t think there is a way humanly possible to eliminate dust in one’s house unfortunately.

I am actually pretty OCD about it, but I have learned there is no eliminating it, so I have just learned to live with it.

Would be interested to know if an air purifier actually makes a difference though....

Good luck!

W9RAC likes this.
  2. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I concur, dust is probably inevitable but I'd Like to cut it down as much as I can. I took around 3 hours today and cleaned everything n the shack, including the walls, desk, everything. I started the purifier so I can see on the equipment as well as the filter how its doing. If I could get it cut down to a couple times or even once a year that would be great. The swiffer is a good idea, I have a ostrich feather duster I use. 73 Rich

KE0GXN likes this.
  3. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I live in an old wood-frame farm house, built circa 1860. Dust is everywhere. When I remove an interior board or plank to do some repairs or additions to the walls or floors, I always expose a heap of dust inside accumulated over many decades, along with dead insects, pieces of dried plant material, ancient mouse turds, occasional mouse skeletons and other debris that sometimes defies description.

The shack is a one-room wood frame building, circa 1940, moved onto the premises 30 years ago. A previous owner installed indoor-outdoor carpet over the entire wood floor, which I didn't remove prior to installing shelves and cabinets, all my radio stuff, parts storage, books and magazines and workshop tools, making it virtually inaccessible to remove at this point. Temporarily opening cavities in the walls or floor for maintenance or construction reveals about the same level of crud as what's in the house. Drill presses, saws, hammers and other power and hand tools in the workshop corner give off loads of dust when working on sheet metal, bakelite, wood, etc. Vintage radio equipment is nearly always saturated with dust unless painstakingly cleaned before bringing it inside.

Dust is inevitable if you live a normal life and do normal human activities. Outdoor air is even more dust-laden than indoor air. It's all part of nature and life on earth. It makes life difficult for those with allergies since you can't really get away from it. We can't all walk around all the time wearing space suits or wearing breathing masks.

Live with it.

AD5HR likes this.
  4. W9RAC

I'll live with it in a controlled fashion, you do as you please. RAC

5. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

YES, YES....... STAY AWAY FROM THE CAT...........

=====.....BUT DON'T FORGET TO DO THE

BIG CLEAN PUP.gif

yea weekend.gif

KI7HSB likes this.
  6. OH1BOR

OH1BOR Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of the dust gathers on the floor of course. By walking and other activities it will rise and fall again all over the place. By dusting the floor regularly you will diminish the "fallout" on all other surfaces too. One of these smart self driving vacuum robots sweeping the floor every night should help.

7. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Dust in the shack, all we are is dust in the shack.

WF7A, W1TRY and W9RAC like this.
  8. W9RAC

That's pretty good one.

9. W9RAC

Day TWO, air purifier running. No interference from it, seems to be doing nicely but too soon to judge. RAC
    20200127_191447.jpg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    KE0GXN likes this.
  10. W9RAC

I can notice a difference in a week and half so far. Its working. RAC

W1TRY likes this.