how to stop...Dust in the Shack?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W9RAC, Jan 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I live rural, in a forest area away from the hustle and bustle of any metro traffic. I have over the years fought dust in the shack using a ostrich feather duster (creates lots of static pick up) and high Merv rated air filters on our HVAC system. I still have lots of dust accumulate on the shack equipment monthly. Its a real pain to keep clean. I have considered a single in room air cleaner/purifier but was trying to avoid the hassle of expensive replacement filters, noise, possible RFI or the like. Wanted to get some ideas from the crowd. Thanks, Rich

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  2. N4NYK

N4NYK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I cover my equipment with regular towels or pieces of cloth when they are not in use. The same side of the towel is always “up” so the “dust” side is away from the equipment.

NL7W, VK6APZ, K9ASE and 1 other person like this.
  3. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If it's that bad, first thing to do is figure out what is the source of the dust? Pollen, pet dander, dust mites, dirt, dried out mouse droppings, deteriorating old, chalky paint or insulation ?

Get rid of Cats, Dogs, etc. Get rid of fabrics, carpets, other porous surfaces. Paint everything, using an enamel or other smooth (not flat) paint. Does your shack have a door you can close? Seal all windows, doors, cracks, holes, etc.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    NL7W likes this.
  4. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No one mentioned a major source of dust...You. In the form of lent from your clothes, dead skin cells sloughing off, and that bag of Oreos you hide from your wife. Unless you stay out of your shack, then dust will be generated.

VK6APZ, NE1U, W9RAC and 2 others like this.
  5. N0DZQ

N0DZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

985BCF2F-9512-4DA9-B006-C5ED099FA9CC.jpeg

N6PJB, N1VAU, N4NYK and 6 others like this.
  6. N9CAV

N9CAV Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have forced air heat have your air ducts cleaned. I run a filter material just under the register. This fabric is made for this use. Pets that lay on the returns will sent what ever is loose on them, threw the vents and to your shack.

7. W9RAC

I have considered that as a possible additional source but I am running fairly high merv rated filters in the plenum. Every month or so I do notice a certain amount of dust which accumulates naturally I suppose. I have considered a non ozone single room cleaner and was wondering if anyone has tried the method. tnx, Rich

8. W9RAC

I have a pretty extensive shack and covering it would really not work well. Great idea and I had a friend who use to do the same, tnx, Rich

9. W9RAC

"bad" is relevant. A build up of dust every month or so is not filth. Rather that taking those drastic steps it would be easier to just hit the shack with a pressure washer once a month. RAC

10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Assuming reasonable and regular cleaning is already done, it’s probably futile to try to further reduce dust in the house coming from normal sources like people, clothing, carpets, etc. unless there is some unusual source.

I found that a small “Swiffer” duster works great and does good job of getting between knobs on the radios.