How to secure coax to the tree on a fir tree mounted 2M AEA Isopole vertical

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WB7SDX, May 4, 2021 at 4:04 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WB7SDX

WB7SDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok, a little background on this story....A friend retrieved this old old AEA Isopole antenna from my fir tree which was up about 30 feet into the tree. Upon inspecting it I found that either a squirrel or other varmint chewed off a little metal off of the top of one cone. I fabricated a replacement piece to cover the missing metal and put some RG8 coax on it and the analyzer shows it having less than 1.5 from 1.5 from 142 to 152 mhz. So it has been resurrected. They sell new for $189 from Spectral at https://www.isopole.com/.
    Anyway, I plan to have a tree trimmer person put the antenna up on the top of the fir tree which is probably over 80 feet tall. I need some suggestions on how to take the weight off of the PL-259 and not let 80-100 feet of coax put strain on it. I'm using RG8 Belden coax as that is what I have. I realize that there is better options for feed line but I'm going to use what I have available. Maybe use kellem grips? heat shrink tubing then rope to tree limb? rope and tie to tree limb?? Let me know what you think. Thanks....

W7JMP likes this.
  2. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 4:26 PM
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

With it up 80 feet, it should get you out a pretty fir piece.

W1FBV and KH6AQ like this.
  4. N1IPU

N1IPU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Support grips are trick for what you want to do. Take a branch near the top and leave some slack between it and the antenna. Paracord will do the trick to the grip.

5. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

100+ feet of RG-8 at 2 meters is pretty lossy, especially if it's old cable.

You really should buy NEW LMR-400 type cable, HRO has Davis RF at .99ยข/ft https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-011882

If I were already paying for a tree service to put the antenna up there, I wouldn't skimp on the feedline.

FYI- my experience with coax strapped to a tree is the tree rats will chew holes in it pretty quick. If I were to do it again I would snake the coax through the hollow armoured BX or PVC conduit with a bunch of expansion joints along the way, that they sell at Home Depot in the electrical section.

But hey, that's just me.

Last edited: May 5, 2021 at 12:21 PM