How to say they got the call wrong?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KJ4RZZ, Feb 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE8EAS

KE8EAS Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a qso today where an (I think) newer op repeated my call KE8EAS, then after that, he kept repeating it as KE3EAS. Maybe he was having a hard time with numbers, or he miss-wrote it. So, when we were wrapping up and saying 73, I said "CALL IS EIGHT EIGHT KE8EAS".

He responded with... dit dit. Hope he got it right! (I'll send a qsl card ;))

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My guess: He never got it right.

I encourage everyone to try CW even if they don't copy well, and a lot don't.:p

KE8EAS likes this.
  3. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Put me down as another who sends the call more slowly, with perhaps a little extra space between it and the rest of my transmission, if necessary repeating the missed letter several times after the call. It works almost all the time.

4. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, if the operator at the other end doesn't read CW well, then spelling things out is really not going to help. It's just going to throw more potential confusion into the mix. Slowing down and spacing things out stands a far better chance of working.

M6GYU likes this.
  5. VE7JBX

VE7JBX Ham Member QRZ Page

For your call, maybe try drawing out the dash parts of the 8... so not ---.. more like ___ ____ ____ ..
    I'm a CW beginner and have all sorts of brain failures while trying to copy (just real QSOs... sure, some podcast at 15 wpm seems easy, but as soon as it's real life all bets are off!)
    A few days ago, had someone with a call starting (I thought) AT reply to my slow wobbly CQ. Next over he made a point of really drawing out the dash on the A, which puzzled me for a few seconds and then I realized he was making it clear his call was "AE...." not "AT...." He made that one dash long enough to really stick out in the flow and make it clear he was drawing my attention to something. I'd guess same might have worked in your exchange.

And finally, on behalf of myself and whomever it was you had the exchange with, and the small but determined number of us in the same, CW beginner boat (more of a leaky canoe?)... thanks for your patience. We'll get there, and a lot of the motivation comes from actually making a few QSOs with the skill set we have in hand, even if we only get 70% of what you sent.

K4EI, KE8EAS and W5BIB like this.