How to say they got the call wrong?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KJ4RZZ, Feb 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KJ4RZZ

KJ4RZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, so I was in a QSO the other day, and the contact got my call wrong. I repeated it like 5 times in a row, and still they responded R R and gave the wrong call. Not a problem they were new to CW like myself, but I found myself wondering HOW to tell them they were getting it wrong.

I would send (CALL) de KJ4RZZ KJ4RZZ KJ4RZZ K

They would send

K04RZZ de ....

I would send:

(CALL) de KJ4RZZ KJ4RZZ KJ4RZZ KJ4RZZ KJ4RZZ K

I finally sent N N N N KJ4RZZ KJ4RZZ KJ4RZZ K

But they still missed it. I am in no way complaining about the QSO, we eventually got it sorted out, and I enjoyed the QSO, but it had me thinking. How do you tell someone they have your call wrong?

Just keep sending it before and after every message and hope they notice?

I considered sending KJJJJJJ KJ4RZZ KJ4RZZ KJ4RZZ K

Thanks!

2. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

You might send:

PSE CORRECT CALL DE KJ4 KJ4 KJ4RZZ KN

3. AA4OO

AA4OO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Unless they're a LOTW user and I need them for the log I just let it pass. Otherwise I send "CALL IS AA4OO" a couple of times.

4. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Then there is the guy you are working whose call ends in Dsomething, like W1XDX, and you find yourself sending W1X DE N1OOQ. :rolleyes:

5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

You did everything you could do I think.

6. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In addition to the good advice that's already been said, be sure to slow down when you repeat the missed call. Perhaps slow down even more for the missed letter.

If you're using a keyer that makes it hard to slow down, at least add extra space between the letters. If on a bug, consider using the dah side as a straight key when you need to slow down.

7. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had this a couple of times as an amater. Simply slowed down the CW and left a slightly bigger gap between my c/s until the guy got the msg. I'd be confused by all your NNNN and JJJjjj though.
    Its also happened once or twice when I operated ship shore station in Gibraltar GYU, occasionally operators would confuse me with Malta GKX. Again just repeat it clearly until they got it right. Or then I could always send QRA Gib, not Malta. lol!

8. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

That, to me, seems the clearest way of indicating that there's an error in need of correction. The change in rhythm draws attention to the error in a way that simple repetition doesn't...

W5BIB likes this.
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This happens to me with newer CW ops who get my call as WB2WI (since my call ends in a "K" they must figure the "K" was "okay, transmit now").

I've found by experimenting that "what works" is for me to simply send my callsign slower. If someone doesn't get that I do not leave a space between WB2WI and the K which is part of the call, they're obviously not very good at copying code and I assume they're probably missing other stuff, too. I crank back the speed, and then they get it.

10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Since we're not perfessional radio ops, we're allowed to use whatever works. Glen K9STH has told this story:
    Thanks, Glen! ;):p