How to repair High Sierra mobile antennas

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by K0BG, Sep 22, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

High Sierra Antennas is kaput. The basic parts are 'almost" identical to Tarheel's 200A series. The main difference, is the contact assembly, gear motor, and the quick disconnect at the bottom. The actual tube is identical, save for where the holes are drilled for the various sub-assemblies.

High Sierra used a mickey mouse, brass cone assembly as a quick disconnect, which always corrodes due to poor maintenance, and can vibrate loose causing all sorts of maladies. With a little due diligence, the Tarheel QD can be used.

The Tarheel coil, coil cover, the end pieces, are all usable. It isn't a slam-dunk, but at least you can fix (resurrect) an old, inoperative High Sierra if you just have to!

If you need technical help, Robert Young is Tarheel's resident guru. Yes, he will try to talk you into purchasing a new Tarheel, but the truth is, he's usually correct! Mobile operators have to remember, that the antenna is a part that wears out over time. Like a pair of shoes that you can resole, sooner or later, the uppers give out, and you have no choice but to replace the whole shebang.

One more item. Over time, the main tube becomes stressed, particularly at the top of the U-shaped mounting bracket. The usual result is the main tube (mast if you will), fails. If yours shows signs of failure, bite the bullet, and buy a new Tarheel 200A.

WA8FOZ likes this.
  2. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the information, Alan.

I remain happy with my bugcatcher. It too requires periodic maintenance, but much less than screwdrivers. And with Breedlove quick-disconnects, it’s easy to take down and put away. I don’t mind getting out of the car to change bands. To each his own.

WD5IKX likes this.
  3. WQ6N

WQ6N XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Alan, I am going to have to disagree with your statement "High Sierra used a mickey mouse, brass cone assembly as a quick disconnect, which always corrodes due to poor maintenance, and can vibrate loose causing all sorts of maladies." I have been using my HS mount for many years and never had a problem. Of course, I use a conductive anti-seize on all the metal mating surfaces. I find mounting and dismounting the HS extremely easy and a efficient design especially if one is up on a ladder. If you visit areas where you need to remove the antenna when parked, a 5/16 nut-driver for the hose clamp is all that is needed.
    As with any antenna in the elements, all things require maintenance. I live in a coastal region and that requires a little more oversight. Especially the compression collar for the top stainless hose clamp. Water will get under the collar and eventually under the paint. Wax on..wax off...

K8AI likes this.
  4. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The key word here is maintenance!

What generally happens (High Sierra's QD), is a build up of corrosion on the brass plug and its socket. I've seen cases where the connection was frozen solid, and a few where there was no contact at all. It just isn't robust. Even the system Tarheel uses can cause issues if it isn't maintained.

I suspect what should be taken from this thread, is the need for routine maintenance on all amateur installation, mobile or otherwise. A quick walk through any hamfest parking lot will prove the point. It is a wonder that some installations work at all.

WA8FOZ likes this.
  5. WQ6N

WQ6N XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, continued maintenance is key. I have seen your HOS pic collection. Interesting....