How to reduce noise from the car engine and electricals?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by VK2MJM, Dec 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. VK2MJM

VK2MJM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

I have just put my FT-857d in the car and there is noise when the engine is on or the navigation/entertainment system is on. Does anyone know what I can do about that?

Many thanks,

Jeremy
    VK2MJM

2. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

More information needed , can you turn off the navigation/entertainment system & just run the engine , then the other way around , engine off key on ?
    Then some description of the noise , bands , modes etc.
    A good answer , requires a good question ;)

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

From the other problems you have on your other 2 post, You may have grounding issues.

Good Luck on your project.

4. VK2MJM

Hi,

Thank you for your replies. No, I thought it was electricals, but it really is only when the motor is running. There is considerable noise feeding back into the radio receive.

If it is a grounding issue, what might be the best way to ground the radio? I had simply ' installed' the radio under the passenger seat, but I can see myself having to get the mobile installation bracket and some braid and drilling holes into the passenger seat metal frame. Is that what is required? I had wondered if putting my IC-7100 into the car would require less work?

Thanks

Jeremy
    VK2MJM

5. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

If just running , on Rx , I would think that it would be either ignition or charging system ,
    and may be getting picked up by the antenna or power wires .
    But again , more details on installation , bands etc.
    With the lack of info on your side , this should be a good place to do some checking http://www.k0bg.com/
    he hangs out here a lot .

6. VK2MJM

Thank you for your replies.

I seemed to have resolved the noise issue by applying an rf coke with the excess coax near the antenna under the bonnet and using a ferrite bead I had. Thanks

Jeremy
    VK2MJM

7. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Luvit when a plan comes together----

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.