How to pronounce "D-104"

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by K4KYV, Jan 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the term "destinized"

KL7HNY likes this.
  2. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Another one that irritates me is the use of "graduate" as in "he graduated high school". That's arse-backwards. The student graduates from high school. The school graduates the student.

3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

After an absence from ham radio for 20 years I mentioned that I heard guys calling out "contact" to a salesperson at HRO and that I was unfamiliar with it. The salesperson told me that it was the current method of breaking into a QSO. Oh really I thought? So I tried it once...got called a lid and decided to never try that again!

4. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Willy-nilly Phonetics get my goat.
    IF you must use them, use the ITU Phonetic Alphabet!

5. KD2BRM

KD2BRM Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never heard it pronounced D 10-4, but I have heard many many people refer to the whole PTT stand/F-11 and element as a D-104. There are still many people that don't now that just the mic element head is "The D-104".

AD5HR and K4KYV like this.
  6. KL7HNY

KL7HNY Ham Member QRZ Page

I've only got one Dee-One-Oh-Four in active service, on my EFJ Viking One. It's really the only way I've ever heard it pronounced.
    Re: phonetics, I stick with ITU when it matters, i.e. DX pileups. It takes forever to say completely, so I end up being a somewhat inadvertent tail-ender. When I'm on an FM repeater I usually just ID with my call, sans phonetics, but I append "stroke four" so nobody thinks there's some weird tropo or Es going on (I'm in NC now.) Except for this time of year, when I say "KL7 happy new year".

I must admit to having a little fun with jargon purists on the local GMRS & 2m/440 machines by mixing disciplines, f'r instance "Q R ten roguer doguer OM", or "I'm QR ten destituted". All in fun. In my college days I did a lot of CW traffic, working with 2RN, all very structured and done seriously. Sometimes Net Control on ECARS. Many evenings on 15m or 20m running patches or just rag chewing with McMurdo Station, Antarctica, from the nice club station at school as WA2NPP.

I saw the OP topic had already been sorta hijacked, so I thought I'd just kinda reply to the hijacks as well as the OP.
    73 de kl7hny
    diddly dahdidah
    dit dit

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  7. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a D-104 in the bay window in the front of the house that PHOEBE knocked over

8. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Also the dropping of "to be", as in "The wall needs painted", "The engine needs serviced", "the lightbulb needs replaced".

NO!

"The wall needs to be painted", "The engine needs to be serviced", "the lightbulb needs to be replaced".

or,

"The wall needs painting", "The engine needs servicing", "the lightbulb needs replacing".

KL7HNY and AC0OB like this.
  9. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

and it's a dern shame you can't obtain replacement cartidges anymore.

AC0OB likes this.
  10. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

My own is distributing "inflammation" for other radio amateurs.