ad: hrd-2

How to pronounce "D-104"

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by K4KYV, Jan 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Some of us are probably more sticklers for language than others, but in amateur radio or any other endeavour, the jargon you use may say a lot about the impression you leave to others. Remember, first impressions are irreversible.

Examples of phony jargon that has crept into amateur radio uses are to spell "ham" as in ham radio all upper case as if it were an acronym: HAM. Or to misspell "amateur" as amature or even armature. I often hear licensed hams on the air give their names as their personal or first personal (not hard to figure out where that came from). Another pet peeve is to try to break into a QSO by barking out "contact!"

The long-time accepted pronunciation of "D-104" dating back to pre-WWII is dee-one-oh-four. These days, I'm increasingly hearing it pronounced dee-ten-four.

Affects me kinda like hearing someone run his fingernail across a blackboard.

N2EY, AF7XT, WZ5Q and 2 others like this.
  2. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Understood, Don.

A couple years ago on the main Zed thread, I tried to generate suggestions for an alternative reference to "ham radio," since it's a nonsense term, and conjures up an image of what Time magazine has called "a faintly embarrassing hobby." Didn't get anywhere. But I never use the term unless I'm being sarcastic.

When I make a faux-acronym and write HAM radio, it's delivered as sarcasm, like "whackers" for EmComm, "Corntesters," and "Dog X-Ray" people. HAM never refers to our part of the hobby. (just the faintly embarrasing parts elsewhere)

There used to be a guy on the air Tom, WA1DGK, later K1JJ, who preferred using CB-jargon throughout a QSO, usually a break-in type of roundtable. "Caw-Maw!" was how he would let others know he was done transmitting. I understood he thought it was funny, but a little went a very long way, and we got a lot. Passer-by would wonder if he was a refugee from Ch. 19, Caw-Maw!

Faintly embarrassing.

3. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Paul, that is hilarious.

4. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

"dee-ten-four" sounds well suited for the 11 meter vernacular, whatever that is these days.

"dee-one-oh-four" is what I say, although in a strict sense, "oh" is a letter and "zero" is a number.

One's perspective on amateur radio matters as well. Viewed from the professional radio industry, there's much to comment on, but then the hobby is referred to as "amateur radio", suggesting that some leniency is justified.

Leading by example benefits everyone.

AC0OB likes this.
  5. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber QRZ Page

Back in my Yute, During my 11m Daze, We always called it a D 1 0 4, Or lollipop.
    Calling it a D 10-4 sounds to me more like a HAM inspired CB snub than actual usage...

KD2BRM, K9ASE, ND6M and 2 others like this.
  6. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

I have heard of "Armchair Contact" but never Armature Radio. :D

Phil

7. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

I prefer using the term "bar stool copy". If I'm ever pressed the next day for a clarification I can claim that I don't remember exactly.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    AC0OB likes this.
  8. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber QRZ Page

One thing I find amusing, Except for license studying (Memorizing),...
    On the average there are probably more CB operators that have wired a mic
    or soldered a PL-259 connector than the comparable cross section of Hams...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    KJ4VTH and AC0OB like this.
  9. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Two things I can think of that bug me: Somehow the term "radio" has come to be used for any kind of transmitter, receiver or transceiver. A few days ago I read a post calling a 35 KW FM broadcast rig a "radio." I don't recall this practice years ago. When I was a new ham, a radio was the AM or FM broadcast receiver in the car, the kitchen, or bathroom. An AA5 was a radio. Ham or good shortwave gen. cov. receivers were "receivers." A Transoceanic was a radio maybe, but not a HRO-500. And a transmitter was never a "radio," it was a rig or transmitter. I simply find it ridiculous to call a BC-1F a radio.

A transmitter or receiver has jacks. A computer has ports. Over the past 10 years or so, even in QST (not surprisingly because hey, they're adapting to the 21st century right? I can dig it man) I've read headphone, mic and coax jacks called ports. The "antenna port," the "microphone port," and so on. Ugh.

N2EY likes this.
  10. W6MQI

W6MQI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep "Personal" that one gets me too YUCK. I also hate the constant use of CW Q signals, and Hi Hi just laugh Damn it! Back when I would visit a local 2m repeater which I no longer do some guys would say Destinated when arriving at their location what does desinated mean? Its not even in the dictionary. Why when some one puts a microphone in front of ones face they have to talk with a hillbilly accent (not that hillbilly's are bad) never have understood that one, do they do that while talking on the phone to make a business deal etc? I find CB jargon as well as some ham jargon purely disgusting just talk leave out all the cutesy crap.

N2EY and AC0OB like this.