ad: Retevis-1

How to Power Pole For Young Hams (Its Actually Easy)!!!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD9LFZ, Aug 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD9LFZ

KD9LFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

AB4BT, PA3KC, K5NAP and 19 others like this.
  2. VE3VXO

VE3VXO Guest

Clearly you are space cadet material. Congrats on knowing how to solder. Properly too! Heat the metal, flow the solder onto the hot metal. I see people probably ten years your senior, engineers mind you, not undergrads, but grad students who don't know how to solder properly. Live long and prosper!

N9DNB likes this.
  3. KD2MDS

KD2MDS Ham Member QRZ Page

Good job.

KD9LFZ likes this.
  4. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice work.
    Mike N3PM

KD9LFZ likes this.
  5. K9PLG

K9PLG Ham Member QRZ Page

Decent video. I also have found soldering them to be best... been soldering since 1968 and actually learned from an old school TV repairman / ham ! First thing the Heathkit manuals went over too. Not hard to do if you are patient and things are reasonably clean also.

KF4ZKU likes this.
  6. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Outstanding! This is not only for young Hams, but senior Hams as well...(Including myself)

Super tools by the way..

NN2X / Tom

KF1P likes this.
  7. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Job.
    She is skillful with her fingers.

Why don't you check your conduction?

JF1IRQ

8. KD5OM

KD5OM Premium Subscriber

Do you ever stop before connecting the RED and the BLACK housing together to see if you're putting them in the correct orientation? Mine are the other way around. Although I've used a screwdriver many times bafore, somewhere around here is an insertion tool that makes that part much easier. You did an excellent job.

W6IR likes this.
  9. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

More power to you Leah, great video x

KD9LFZ and W7UUU like this.
  10. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Indeed!

Dave
    W7UUU

KD9LFZ likes this.
  11. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Leah, keep up the good work: doing is learning! Having said that, I would also like to teach you something: That wire is way too thin for the power pole used. And after crimping, a terminal should never be soldered, especially not when the wire is too thin to stay in the terminal by itself. Solder is not suitable for mechanical fixation of a wire (it is not allowed to be used as such under code) because solder flows under stress and pressure and after enough movement, the wire will become loose again.

But keep going, you'll get there and you sure are an inspiration for new (young) hams!.

KD8CIV, KC8GWH and KP4SX like this.
  12. NF6E

NF6E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll stick with banana plugs.

KC2SIZ and KF4ZKU like this.
  13. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

When assembling them I stopped using the roll pin and just use a gel crazy glue to fix the connectors. Had much better luck with them long term.

KA0HCP likes this.
  14. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

"Power Pole" is now a verb? :confused:

KP4SX likes this.
  15. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Somehow, I learned how to do this without a video.

Thanks for taking the effort to post it, however. Its informative, and I hope it helps many others.

Never thought I would drink the PowerPole punch... but it sure was tasty, I didn't die, and I really enjoy the convenience of them.