ad: w3ff

How to politely end a CW exchange quickly

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by AA4OO, Nov 29, 2015.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: OK1UUad-1
  1. AA4OO

AA4OO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What is the proper procedure for ending a CW exchange quickly yet politely to get a phone call or answer a doorbell, deal with angry wife, etc.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You could say "need to answer phone", "answer doorbell", or "talk to my wife"

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

3. AA4OO

What is the proper way to break into their transmission, and do I ask them to wait or just sign?

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Oh!! That's different. Kinda hard to say - not everyone uses fast break-in operation (QSK). I use a number of older rigs that when I'm in "transmit" I'm in transmit until I switch to receive.

But hey - if you "gotta go you gotta go" - I have been there a time or two and just left the room, QSO hanging because I had no other choice. But each time I've looked up their email and sent a message explaining why I ditched them. Of course, in the 70s and 80s.... oh well. Just bailed and that was that

Dave
    W7UUU

W8ZNX likes this.
  5. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you're planning on returning to the QSO, I would (if ur using QSK) say ; "BK de N4PBQ - pse QRX pse QRX-2 or AS AS2. (wait 2 minutes)

If ya haffta leave & are not coming back: BK BK de N4PBQ hr must QRT - hr must QRT - sri 73 de K4PBQ SK

The other op doesn't know if you've had a fire or XYL problems (same thing) or a telephone call or what?...

More experienced operators might understand: BK BK DE K4PBQ - QRX QRX HR LL - AS (landline call)

As Dave said,... If ya gotta go, ya gotta go !! (at the worst the other op might think that "the band just took-a-dive")

KM9R likes this.
  6. AA4OO

Ok, I didn't know sending BK during the other station's transmission meant "break". I have just been using it to turn it back to them for a question or when answering one. Is "SRI" an abbreviation for "sorry" or what?

I guess if the other station can't hear me send BK I'll just try and send them an email.

Thank you for the info.

W7UUU likes this.
  7. W7UUU

Yes - SRI is "sorry" in CW the rest should be obvious.

But remember - ONLY if the other guy is using fairly fast QSK (break-in - meaning he is listening to the frequency while sending) will he ever hear the "BK" - and then he must think quickly enough to know it's YOU doing the BK and not some other station wanting in. Example: if I were on my old Drake 2A receiver, transmitting with my homebrew 40m rig, when I'm in "transmit" I cannot hear the receiver until I "throw the switch" back to listen mode... I'd never hear "BK" at all.

Were I going to chance he's got QSK turned on - if he even has it - I'd probably just send QRT QRT QRT 73 DE W7UUU (QRT means going off the air) - and leave the room if you don't have time to await a possible response.

There's really no "cut and dried answer" to this

Dave
    W7UUU

MM0HVU likes this.
  8. AA4OO

Both my radios (even the old Ten-Tec) have full-break in QSK so I hadn't thought about the other station not being able to hear me but I guess even a lot of QRP stations use a separate transmitter and receiver with a switch so maybe just sending QRT QRT QRT SRI 73 DE N4PBQ would be enough. If they hear it they'll understand. I'll send an email either way.

If there were only a Q code for XYL/QRM...

9. W7UUU

That's how I'd roll with it.

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  10. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had it happen to me often over the years. Just truckin' along & turn it back to the guy & NOTHING !!
    I'd wait a few seconds & call him again - NOTHING !!
    I just figured that he either had to QRT or the band had dropped-out.
    No-big-deal.....
    stuff happens :)

K5UOS likes this.