ad: elecraft

How to participate in the military cross band test,

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4JLE, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WW5RM

WW5RM Guest

Oh yes I have worked split numerous times but it didn't say or state that from what I read. It said Cross-Band and to me what is taking place here is Cross-Service. 75M is 75M no matter what Service you are in. So calling it Cross-Band because you are going from Military to Ham is silly to me.

Anyway here in the USA it is legal to listen anywhere you please except in the Cell Phone section and that only changed a few years ago but I still think is BOGUS!!!!!!!!!! If someone wants a secure freq then it is up to them to secure their TX or encrypt their meaning. I mean finding someone with a Receiver listening to a freq that some government or official says is illegal and catching them doing it is rediculous to me. That is just more Government control and we have to much at the present time!!!!!!!!! =]

2. WZ3O

WZ3O Guest

For all that's holy, call it what you want; Cross-Band, Cross-Service, do or don't participate, it's legal & has been "On Air" for years..... Nitpick it apart, condone it or eschew it.......But I, for one, can't imagine why all this "raging debate"?!?!?!

It's not the Alpha & Omega, it's talking on the radio..... No one is "forced" to participate or for that matter even push their power button ....

After all, Ham Radio IS a HOBBY for all to enjoy in their own manner.....

My 2ยข's, YMMV, etc & so on....

3. WS9C

WS9C Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the most important information in this posting is the fact that President Obama has decided that this is not important enough for him to spend some time composing a simple message recognizing the sacrifices of our military and veterans.

PLEASE, instead of posting another caustic response to this thread, go to http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact and compose a polite, to the point message about the importance of the presidents participation in Armed Forces Day. If EVERYONE did this, they would pick up on our concern and possibly re-instate the "message", plus, score one for Ham Radio!

JUST DO IT!
    de WS9C, Tom www.whitehouse.gov/contact

4. WZ3O

WZ3O Guest

AMEN.......

5. KR6LH

KR6LH Ham Member QRZ Page

W8NSI - "Are You A Turtle?"

You bet your sweet .... I am.

Need to find the ancient ID card.

Lee KR6LH

6. SP6FZM

SP6FZM Ham Member QRZ Page

the big one of this S.E.S

The big one of this S.E.S Army day was AEM1USA ever with great signal !!!closed several years ago. It was a very sad day for all Mars Oms!!!Hams still remember!Vy73:(

7. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

With all due respect, sir, (used in the civilian sense) it is your right, to have an opinion, but it does not automatically make your opinion right. And a wise man doesn't place expectations on others, because it only leads to disappointment... so I would suggest that you don't expect anyone else to 'see it your way' in this particular case.

Furthermore, thank you for your service. And let's just leave it at that.

73 and Godspeed

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  8. K9ROD

K9ROD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks

:D Rearranging the Defense Department? That's going to be a very interesting topic on National News. They are too busy doing other things. Like traveling all over the country and the world for a vacation on tax dollars. Let's see, how many States has he visited in the last 2 years just to sway public opinion? :confused: Wait a minute, public opinion spoke out last November, so he did waste tax dollars on unnecessary travel. ;) BUT HE DOESN'T HAVE TIME FOR THE SERVICE MEMBERS OF THIS NATION. And finally, :eek:

I cannot express the words of thanks for the 5 simple words that many of you and a lot of people in this great Country have said to me: "Thank You For Your Service". Many people don't understand that a serviceman follows orders and leaves the politics at home. We do it so that forums like this one can continue to operate. We do it because we Love Our Country. Enough said, you get the idea! :) SSG Rodney Vorndam US Army Retired K9ROD ;)

9. N1CZZ

N1CZZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As far as which is correct, calling it cross band or same band, or whether it is legal or not is difficult I think for this reason. These are words and rules, we do not make the words, terms or rules, so in all reality it is what those who create them have decided it should be. Who created what a band is and isn't, where does it start and stop, who wrote part 97? Those whom assume the position of ruler of the masses. So we are splitting hairs as to what they did or do call things. If you haven't noticed yet in life, they constantly change the rules and especially the meaning of words, and even documents like the Constitution and Declaration of Independence.

10. G2CNN

G2CNN Ham Member QRZ Page

No one is operating out of band ! The Amateur Station is transmitting on a amateur frequency, and the Military Station is operating on a military frequency ! The Amateur station simply listens to a transmission that is not within an amateur band, but has been approved and sanctioned by the government ! Cross Band or Semi Duplex, whatever you wish to call it !

73 de Simon. Bosuns Mate. SS Shieldhall.

11. N0TAZ

N0TAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

What are the dates and times of the test? No dates are given in the posting. Thank you.

12. W5DQ

W5DQ Guest

In the US, any person can LISTEN to any OVER-THE-AIR open transmission, even encoded ones if they have the means to decipher it. The Communications Act of 1938 and FCC regulations places limitations on the 'use of or the desemmenation of the contents of any recieved transmissions'. Being once it is transmitted over the airwaves, there is no regulation or law that prevents US citizens (hams or not) from listening in. I'm not sure how it is in Europe and other parts of the world but I can't see how anyone could be stopped from listening providing they had a receiver capable of doing so. Legality of owning such receivers is another issue albeit related.

Our amateur license only gives us a grant (i.e. permission) to TRANSMIT in specified allocated frequency bands using specified modes of emission. Reception is not covered by the regulations except as stated above.

Gene W5DQ

13. N2OBY

N2OBY Ham Member QRZ Page

Never thought I'd see the day when hams didn't recognize or understand the concept of operating split frequency. Makes me feel old... :eek:

14. W5DQ

W5DQ Guest

Try these on for size :)

About half way down the original posting ....... USS YORKTOWN (CV-10) (14 MAY 1200Z - 15 MAY 0400Z)

Gene W5DQ

15. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

This year, it will be from 1300UTC May 14 to 1300 UTC May 15. Assuming the same timing as previous years, the official announcement should be anytime now. The announcement will include a list of participating MARS stations, usually 20-30 and the frequencies on which they will transmit. Listen for them to announce which Amateur frequency they are montoring.

--And in anticipation of the question:
    Set one VFO on your rig to the MARS frequency.
    Set the other to the Amateur frequency the MARS station announces.
    Switch back to the MARS frequency.
    Press the split button [use menu, on some rigs].
    Now, though your display shows the MARS frequency, when you key or PTT the rig will switch to the opposite VFO.

If your rig is incapable of split, use a second receiver. You're only transmitting on the Amateur frequency, perfectly legally under 97.111(a)(5) [a/o 10/1/2010], though the CQ is out of your allocation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.