ad: elecraft

How to pack a road bike for ham radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N7KOM, Jul 20, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N7KOM

N7KOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Here I show how I fit / *shove* my portable station in a frame bag on my road bike. I prefer using frame bags to backpacks because it is more comfortable on hot days.

Gear that fits in the frame bag:
    • KX2 & paddle, ect.
    • Fiberglass mast
    • FT-60r
    • MFJ Longranger
    • logbook (not pictured, fits in the other pocket on the frame bag)
    This lets me *easily* activate some of the urban SOTA summits around Portland.

73 de Tim N7KOM

P.S. Sorry for the shaky camera. Hard to put pack up one handed ;)

KJ7YWK, KC1QGI, KC2JAV and 13 others like this.
  2. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

What bag was that used for the KX-2?

3. N7KOM

It's a Kelty brand soft case, sadly discontinued. I got it cheap off of REI's outlet site a couple years ago. Wish they still made them! It's the perfect size for QRP rigs.

KL7KN likes this.
  4. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's great! :) I'm hoping to start doing something similar this summer. My equipment is a bit more bulky - an FT 818, mag loop antenna with a folding tripod, a CW key, battery, etc. plus water and other goodies. But everything will squeeze into an over the shoulder messenger bag I already use for my tools, CO2 tire inflator and other stuff.

KA0USE, KI5UXW, WD4ELG and 1 other person like this.
  5. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

As a keen cyclist and one who used an FT-290R (remember those) on a bike with a homebrew VOGAD headset many years ago, i'm always keen to see how other Hams use their kit with a bike etc. etc.

however i'm curious to one thing...as a Ham-cyclist-combo do they get farther the more they pedal ;)

6. AK5CT

AK5CT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With the current price of gas, we may all end up doing this.

N6AMF, R4HGZ, AK5B and 2 others like this.
  7. AB1WX

AB1WX Ham Member QRZ Page

I use Burley Travoy for Parks on the Air activations. I can carry a lot more equipment and a few spare antennas. But I'm curious about your tiny mast. What model is it?

8. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the reply

My 'bike portable' setup uses a set of panniers. I have pics in my page here at the Zed.

N7KOM likes this.
  9. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

But, that's where the engine goes! I gotta rethink this whole suggestion.:p

KA0USE and N7KOM like this.
  10. N6WNG

N6WNG Ham Member QRZ Page

11. NU4R

Hey Don! Been to JBER A BUNCH over the past 4 years. Son-in-law was in the AF. They left about 6 months ago. What a trip that was getting them back to Florida! HOLY CRAP! Thought I was gonna die! I was always wanting to set up a station there.

73 sir and have a great week!
    Greg

KL7KN likes this.
  12. NU4R

13. N7KOM

It's an ali-express mast. I'd link to it, but I tried ordering a second one and even though it is the "same" it is a completely different size!

AB1WX likes this.
  14. W7PLC

W7PLC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am VHF mobile on my bike, Yaesu VX-8 w/ external spkr/mic in the small bag by the handlebars with a multiband antenna mounted on the rear carrier

Attached Files:

KJ7YWK likes this.
  15. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm getting in shape for this: https://greatcyclechallenge.com/
    And I'm probably just going to have a two meter rig clamped to my handlebars.

I wish this even was about a month earlier; we could be getting snow by then, and I've got really really really skinny, really really really hard tires.

K1XS likes this.