How to mount the main body of a Kenwood Ts-480

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by N1FMV, Jul 24, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N1FMV

N1FMV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all, the wife and I are building a portable HF station in a tool box on wheels for field day operation and other outdoors fun. We have a used Kenwood Ts-480 which we would like to use. Is there someone who makes a mounting bracket for the main body of the radio? If so who makes it and what is the part number. Google didn't help me here on this one. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Frank

2. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

N1FMV likes this.
  3. N1FMV

Rich thank you very much. That is very helpful.

Frank

4. N1FMV

OK, now for my follow up question in the bonus round. The fan on the TS-480 is on the rear. Does this fan push or pull? So my real question is when the unit is mounted in the go-box should the fan be mounted downwards toward the bottom of the box or should it be mounted upwards toward the lid for best thermodynamics and cooling?

thanks for all the good info here

Frank;

5. W5KV

W5KV Ham Member QRZ Page

The fans push out the back...

[​IMG]
    Only downside to the mobile carrying bracket is the additional weight & it prevents you from using a Serial to USB cable to attach to a computer because the faceplate is too close to the radio body.

K5ACL

6. AB9TA

AB9TA Ham Member QRZ Page

TS-480 is a great radio for either mobile use, and/or digital modes w/computer control.
    If you want to use the serial port with their "portable bracket" that holds the radio and the control head, simply mount the radio using the appropriate screw holes so there is a little more separation between the control head and radio. Then get a DB9 M to DB9 F ribbon cable. This one on e-bay has right angle connectors on both ends so that it will fit in very tight spaces: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DB9-Male-t...andard!60188!US!-1:rk:8:pf:0&var=591313024175 . There are many others out there, this one is just for reference.

I have a TS-480 mounted in my vehicle, and I use the factory 'L' brackets to mount the radio. The only drawback is that the control head mount isn't very sturdy, so the head really wobbles when driving on rough roads - lots of those in Illinois, BTW.

7. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a TS-440S, which mounts the same way. I simply made a set of brackets using 1/8 aluminum sheet, with one bend and a few holes on each side.