How to line up in sequence Amps/Power/tuner etc

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K5WEL, Jun 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K5WEL

K5WEL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have ordered a Yaesu 991A. I will have the transceiver, a LDG 1000PROII tuner, a 1000 power supply 48 volt 20 amp, a MFJ 880 SWR meter and a 600 watt Mean Well amp.

What is the true pecking order?
    Transceiver-automatic tuner-swr meter-antenna-power supply-amp?

K5WEL

2. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Transceiver -> amp -> swr/power meter -> tuner -> antenna.

Placement of the power supply? It can go anywhere because its not in the RF path, just supplying power to the amp. The radio needs a separate 12 VDC power supply, it will not run off a 48 volt supply. I am not sure that we are talking about the same stuff in regards to power. Usually a 48 - 50 volt power supply is for an amp and a 12 volt supply runs the radio. Is that what you have?

I am asking because "Mean Well" is a power supply company. I never heard of that name in reference to an RF power amp. Can you give a bit more info on the actual set up that you have? Maybe you meant a 1kw RF amp of some sort? That would make a bit more sense...

What would make even more sense would be a 600 watt amp, given the capability of the LDG tuner. It may say that it can handle a kilowatt, but in reality half of that is a better idea. That would depend on the match on the antenna. High SWR and high power into a tuner can result in dramatic failures if the tuner is not up to the task.

What kind of antenna do you have?

(EDIT) IF you are thinking that the Alpha FMJ antenna listed on your bio can actually handle 600 watts, you may be disappointed... Antennas like that tend to melt with high power. Time and usage will tell. I might be wrong on this point.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  3. W6MK

W6MK Ham Member QRZ Page

There's some fundamental misunderstanding here, I'm afraid. A Yaesu 991A transceiver needs a nominal 12 V power supply. A 48 V supply won't do.

You'd do well to go to a local ham club meeting and ask to see some station setups and talk about them. Most hams are very happy to show off their stuff.

4. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A 600 watt Mean Well "Driver" is a power supply for LED lighting, based on your BIO you already have a 12 volt 50amp power supply that will power the 991A. So the issue is what RF linear amp are you using? Is it Tube 120volts or Solid state that needs a 48 volt power supply?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  5. K5WEL

I have a Pyramid PSV500 power supply for the 13.8 volts. I will be using an Alpha FMJ 160-6 vertical antenna as well as a Diamond W8010 dipole

6. K5WEL

I am using a Pyramid PSV 500 for the 13.8 volts off the transceiver. My antennas will be the Alpha FMJ 160-6m and a Diamond W-8010. Mean Well SE-1000-48 for the EMB 600 Watt amp.

7. K8XG

So what is it you need 48 volts for ???

8. K8XG

Provide a link to a completed Amp that has all it needs, when I searched that it was a board only RF amp that will need lots of extra components

9. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yea, there is a single board amp available on EBay. But I don't think that the Ebay amp is the one the OP is talking about.

Try this link to EMB Amplifiers. There is a 600 Watt version, in a chassis, about 1/3 down the page, that requires a 50V DC/20A power supply and 12V DC/2A power supply. So the Pyramid PSV500 power supply will have to do double duty supplying both the transceiver and the power amp.

But you should also notice that the power amp is "not" FCC compliant, without a Low Pass Filter on the output. This tells me that it is not a very clean amplifier. Time to start looking for a Low Pass Filter that can handle 600 watts, like this LPF1500-54 from Low Band Systems.

10. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Eh?

Without a bandswitched LPF there is no way I would put that thing on the air!

It might be legal if he wired in something like this...
    https://qrpblog.com/2019/12/f600-600w-low-pass-filter-board-for-hf-vhf/

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021