How to install Windows 11 on a PC without UEFI and TPM

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KX4OM, Oct 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

From Ars Technica, 06 October 2021:

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/10/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-11-whether-your-pc-is-supported-or-not/

The author goes through some of the official (Microsoft) and unofficial ways to install Windows 11 on an unsupported PC.

The bottom line is that the author successfully installed Windows 11 on these two older PCs:

1) an HP Pavilion laptop with a first-generation Core i3 CPU, and
    2) a Dell Inspiron PC with a Core 2 Duo CPU and a Windows XP sticker on the front

I personally have a 64-bit Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop with a Core Duo T-5800 processor, 4GB RAM, an SSD and a Windows Vista sticker on it. No UEFI, no Secure Boot, and no TPM. It is currently running Windows 10 just fine for its use case. A second identical laptop for spare parts is in the closet.

The laptop I am using right now is a Micro Center-refurbished HP Core-i5-5300U (not officially supported) with 16GB RAM and a Samsung 860 EVO SSD, UEFI Secure Boot-capable, and TPM 1.2 (not officially supported by Microsoft). That's the one that I'm faced with installing Windows 11 on when Windows 10 is no longer receiving updates from Microsoft.

Note: A 64-bit capable machine is definitely required.

The Ars Technica author's caveat:
    "I'm not recommending that you install Windows 11 on these kinds of machines! But there's nothing in the OS that keeps it from booting and running."

Ted, KX4OM

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It will be hosed after the first update. o_O

3. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, Microsoft has not come clean on their Windows 11 installation and update policies for non-compliant PCs. I've seen everything from "no installation possible" to "manual installation only" to "no updates" to "manual updates only" to "security updates only" to "updates for non-compliant machines for paying commercial customers only" to the attitude that they just don't want to talk about it.

Maybe the backlash that Windows 10 for normal users will no longer be supported after 2105 will stretch that date out. I suppose that the risk of continuing to use Windows 10 might be safer than running Windows 7 or Windows XP.

Ted, KX4OM

4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

How?

DON'T

W9JEF likes this.
  5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

... ummm, that seems like enough years for me...

NG1H, AE5SB and WA9SVD like this.
  6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

My first (and perhaps second, third,...) question would be WHY, except, perhaps as an academic exercise? Win 10 is still "good" until 2025. (That's over three years yet.) If a computer can't originally support Win 11 NOW, because of low memory, lack of UEFI, or the proper version of TPM, by the time Win 11 is the only version of Windoze supported, that computer will be not just be "long in tooth," but an antique (at least, in "computer years.:(" And I believe one computer year = about 18 human years.:mad:)

K0UO likes this.
  7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I will wait for Windows 12.

8. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

why not?
    Playing with software can be a lot fun.... even if it it IS from Microsoft. By trying such things, one can learn a lot about what is hype / BS.... and what is reality. If we all just take MS's word for it, we're all doomed to be hacked, our older computers are usesless, and if we don't toe the coporate line we are troglodites. BUT the that is far from the truth..... and there is still a lot of life left in many, many older machines.
    The best example of all of this is WIN 7, which MS has been trying to kill off for almost a decade now.... yet there are still a lot of viable Win7 machines out there.

SO... here we once again have MS trying to kill off older hardware, and everybody is saying THIS won't work... or THAT won't work... and MS putting out it's standard BS of why we need their latest offering. Experiments like the one posted by the OP here, go a long way toward cutting through the rhetoric and getting to the facts.

To be frank, the current Win11 rhetoric looks to me like another case "The Narrative is more important than the facts."

WD4DXQ likes this.
  9. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Without a supported system, you might as well stay on Win10. All the crypto and security in Win11 can't work on the older hardware.

If you want to play around, great. But don't think you are getting the same OS security and other benefits.

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, "old" hardware, however "functional" it may be, has limited usefulness. I still have TWO Win XP machines, and yes, even a Win '98SE box, and all three WORK, but for what purpose? I can run MS Office 97 PRO on Win '98, but... Oh yeah. A printer. The ONLY Parallel Port Printer I can find (at least at a reasonable price) or have is a C. ITOH dot matrix printer (AKA Apple Dot Matrix., to show it's age and original use.) Do I really want to send out business letters or resum├Ęs with dot matrix quality? None of the computers are Internet-friendly anymore, either. Even if they WERE, their speed (or rather lack thereof) would make them unacceptable for any significant web use. The XP machines can run as least many of the "ham" programs, and a few other pieces of software, but that is about it, (as long as "updates" from the web are not needed.)

Yes, there is still "life" left in those computers, but I wonder just WHAT life that is.