How To Improve Head Copying??

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KN4ICU, May 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I still have the same thing happen to me after over 57 years as a Morse only operator. If I don't "jot down" key-words during the QSO, I forget what all was chatted about during a rag chew.
    I keep a note pad handy & just jot down enuf details (key words) to help me respond/comment on points mentioned during the QSO.
    At 71 years old, I just chalk-it-up to Short Term Memory Loss ;) & keep my pen & notepad handy. YMMV

Steve / W5BIB

M6GYU likes this.
  2. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Getting on the air on a near-daily basis, for two or three QSOs before work each morning, did it for me in a few months.

Also, #21 above.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    WN1MB likes this.
  3. KN4ICU

KN4ICU Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing that makes it hard to copy is when others send code with no spacing between words, improper spacing. Everything sounds like one big clunk of dits and dahs..... Writing it down helps me to "decipher" at a lot of things.

W9RAC and KD2RON like this.
  4. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yah, some ops send very oddly spaced stuff, even slurring all of the letters together. If it's standard QSO stuff, "RST 599 NAME BOB QTH TX", you can usually figure it out, but I can't ragchew like that for very long.

Supposedly, after doing CW for long enough you hear whole words... maybe some start sending like that as well? I'm not really at that point other than "the" and a few other common words and abbreviations.

5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Although setting lofty goals is a fine thing, for many people such challenges set them up for failure. Yes, we learn from our mistakes (or should), but a string of failures can quickly sour interest in a lofty goal.

This ham radio stuff, CW included, is many things: a service, a hobby, an avocation, a diversion. Regardless of the label, it should be enjoyable. So if you want to improve your head copy of CW, relax, concentrate, practice, but most importantly enjoy. It isn't a competition unless you make it one.

Get on the air and practice. A small block of time daily trumps a weekly binge. Though different for all of us, in time you'll suddenly realize you've copied not just a common word, but several uncommon words in your head.

Relax, concentrate, practice (regularly) and enjoy.

KD8EDC and K8PG like this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

In my case, it's referred to as CRS...

W5BIB likes this.
  7. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course! That's not going to change much, no matter how good you get at code. If the op on the other end is running everything together, you are totally dependent on context to understand what is meant, whether you write it down or not. One little spot of fading, and you lose context, and have to wait until you get it back to be able to follow what the other guy is saying.

8. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Or contesting.

9. N2EY

The trick is not to need repeats and fills.

10. N2EY

Can't Remember Stuff.