ad: M2Ant-1

How To Improve Head Copying??

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KN4ICU, May 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KN4ICU

KN4ICU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have started to listen to a youtube video called something along the lines of "The 500 Most Common Words" in 18wpm Morse code. I can head copy all of these single words fine. The problem I have though is stringing words together to make sentences together via head copy. When I try and remember previous words, I just got lost and mixed up.

What can I do to make this happen???

W4KYR likes this.
  2. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I type the code as it comes in, and that seems to help me remember what was sent...

3. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Listen to code when you have no way to write it down. Try it at various speeds, including those where you can get almost all of it, almost none of it, and in between.

I like to convert text files of books to code in mp3 format, using ebook2cw. Then I listen to the code on an mp3 player as I'm drifting off to sleep. There are other ways to practice, but the idea is straightforward: if you want to get good at head copy, then force yourself to head copy.

K1SZO and KN4ICU like this.
  4. KN4ICU

KN4ICU Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the ebook2cw idea. Sounds like a good idea for long car drives!

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Use it a lot more.

No paper, no pencil or pen, no keyboard. Just "listen" to the code. Relax and remember there's no cash prize for solid copy and it's perfectly acceptable to ask for repeats if you want them.

I think if you make 5 CW contacts a day, every day for six months, at the end of those 180-odd days you'll wonder what the problem ever was.

WN1MB and WB5YUZ like this.
  6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Same as how you get proficient at a language: Use it every day, and "Relax".

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I take notes on the key information to help refresh my memory when it's my turn to transmit often have a receiver on (CW) in the background when doing other things in the shack. As WIK pointed there is no prize for getting every letter or every word.

8. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"...Except when handling formal traffic."

N2EY likes this.
  9. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have some app I found on the net, lets me convert text to CW and then burn a CD. Pop the CD into my truck's player and we have head copy...

For me, it seems like the key to "reading" all of the words is to stop trying. Just copy as it comes, completely ignoring what this word, or the last one, is. My brain sort of fills it in automatically.

WN1MB and KN4ICU like this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Even then.

Request for repeats is always an option, and always has been.

K3XR likes this.