ad: AlphaRF-1

How to hook up two newer rig to one amp

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KB3SQW, Sep 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

To me, that's a big "so what?" So, it keys the amp.

If the amp is stable, so that wastes some power which creates heat. It doesn't hurt anything.

In most cases, only one transceiver would actually be powered "on" at a time, so this would rarely occur anyway.

I've been doing this for decades and it possibly added a few dollars to my electric power bill, but I can handle that.

2. W4HWD

W4HWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What's the benefit of switching two rigs between one amplifier?

3. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Everyone's case is different. I'll present mine as an example.

P1010883.jpg

I want to have 1 amplifier in my system. There are 2 radios I like to use currently on HF, an ICOM for everything but AM, and a Yaesu for AM.

There's an Alpha Delta antenna switch that selects which radio feeds the amplifier. Both radios feed the amp's key line.

The radio I want to use at a given time is on and selected to feed the amp. If I don't want an amp it stays in Standby or is powered off.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Gives one a choice of rigs and avoids spending money for more amplifiers.:)

Some (like me) prefer one particular rig for SSB and a different one for CW, and perhaps a different one for digital modes or AM or whatever.

5. W4HWD

W4HWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok I get it now.

6. KG7QJB

KG7QJB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Roger what would I need to hook up a Icom 735 to a Yaesu 2100B I watch the posts and you seem to have much experience. I do not want to hurt my radio. Amp is working great on a Yaesu 101B at this time.