How to hide mailing address?

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by AF7Q, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AF7Q

AF7Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I just got vanity plates and would, for security purposes, like to hide my mailing address at QRZ.

I spent some time on the edit screen, FAQ, and forums but haven't been able to find any discussion of this.

2. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

You'll have to get a PO box.

3. AF7Q

AF7Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, Brian, for the reply. I assume you're saying that QRZ has no privacy controls and regardless of my wishes will publish my address (from my ticket) ?

Hmmmm... Sounds like QRZ.com has failed to embrace modern thinking on privacy controls.

4. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not sure but I think the ZED gets its info off of the FCC site , so that may be where you need to go , but like kb9bvn said , I think you'll have to change to a PO box on the FCC site .

5. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC database is available to the public, and since that is where the lookup sites get their data, just stopping it here won't have any affect on the other lookup sites or the FCC database.

Get a PO Box and change your address with the FCC. Then all the lookup sites will update and only show a PO Box.

I know folks that use a remailer service in another state to hide their true street address. You might consider that as well.

6. AK4MP

AK4MP QRZ Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

From one of the FAQ's:

4) ALL USA hams wanting to have their license updated

For those USA hams who are seeking to do the following:

1) Update their address
    2) Renew their license
    3) Legal name change
    4) Added to the data base
    5) Any other misc changes to their license

With ALL of these matters the Data Base Management team and even Administrators have NO access to the ULS to make any changes. In any of these cases YOU must file the appropriate paperwork and file them with the FCC as we are NOT authorized to make any changes.
    Please do not ask the Data Base Management team or myself for help with these issues as there is nothing at all we can do to help you.
    *********end

As suggested, secure a PO Box and file an AU with the FCC ULS DB and the FCC CORES DB. Change of address is required in both systems.

7. AF7Q

AF7Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh come on. I'm not going to get into a flame war on this, but for QRZ to claim they have no control of what data they publish is hogwash. Yes, the data is owned by the FCC and available on other sites. But if QRZ wanted to add an opt-out option, they could. Clearly they don't care to.

8. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's public information.
    If someone really wanted to find your address it's three or so clicks away in the FCC database.
    Like I posted in the other thread you started on the subject you have at least one and I think two other sites to try and get to not post your information.

9. W5RB

W5RB Guest

At least these US-based ones , I'm sure there are others . All of them update from ULS changes .

www.ae7q.com
    www.hamcall.net
    www.hamdata.com
    www.vanityhq.com
    http://callook.info/

or , just put your call in the search box here:
    http://www.city-data.com/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2010
  10. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I stand corrected :)

Right after I posted that came across the thread about another callsign database.
    Looks like our friend would have his work cut out for himself.

Atleast with The Zed you have nice page to put your bio on, pictures of your station and for all intents it''s a fully functional webpage.

AND IT'S ALL FREE!!

This is the best darn game in town. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.