How to handle "Unconfirmed" QSO's

Discussion in 'QRZ Operating Awards' started by AC2MM, Mar 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have recently received nice QSL card from Belize - confirming QSO 3/1/2003 - two thousands three !
    Unsolicited, via buro , no pun intended, and with a note "No QSL required".

2. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My last log entry here is in June, 2016, for Field Day. My confirmations haven't increased beyond 32 out of 88. LotW isn't any better. Neither is eQSL. Around a third of all my QSOs have been confirmed. One finally did get back to me, in 2018, to tell me in wasn't in his log. Its possible I miscopied his call, it was during a contest.

When I got the dsp filter and used it to listen to contacts, I can hear them much better.

Last time we discussed this, I remember several people saying some hams only post their log books a few times a year.

3. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If that. Some don't even log anything! I have been computer logging since I got my ham ticket years ago. At last peek, WG7X has over 61k "Q's" in the QRZ log.

The interesting thing there, and the only reason I mention it, is that my personal log shows only about 60,929 as does LOTW while QRZ shows 61,424.

So where do those 400 + extra "Q's" come from? I don't really care, but it just shows an obvious problem somewhere. But as mentioned in my previous post, its not worth my time to chase down. Of the 60,929 contacts that I have accumulated, only about 24% have confirmed thru LOTW.

So... Is it a problem? I guess it depends on the person. I will note however, that most of the quickest to confirm are digital and contest operators. That has been true for many years. Especially since the advent of LOTW, QRZ and Clublog.

So, if you need confirmations and quickly, get into contesting or digital or both! RTTY op's always confirm within hours. I worked the ARRL DX contest last week and of the 75 DX "Q's" that I made more then 90% have already confirmed via LOTW.

That's called a clue folks, write it down!

73 Gary

4. AC2MM

AC2MM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well,
    I emailed one that had three QSO's from me at various dates, and he was kind enough to upload them to LOTW.
    I'm not sure why, but 90% of these are from February of this year. Seems strange.
    But I don't give up on this one, it took too long to get a lot of these.
    So for every one that has an email address, I'm sending an email reminder, which I think is appropriate. At other times when I've done this, the vast majority have logged the contact with LOTW. And they've been very congenial about it. As would I if I was asked.

First thing to check is all these in LOTW. Gonna be some work, but I have to run this problem down, if there is one other than the ham hasn't done it.
    Then I send the email if it isn't there. All FT8 BTW.

5. AC2MM

BTW, your other comment, "It is just a hobby..."
    (and building my crystal radios)

You're absolutely right. That's what I was doing for quite a while, just ragchewing using Olivia, Contestia, and some PSK. Much more enjoyable actually. Met a lot of nice guys and even learned a few things along the way.. I could have cared less about awards.

But when nobody answered the phone for a chat, I'd open up FT8 and log a few QSO's just for a fun.
    Then some became a challenge, and then I found out about these "Awards" that QRZ had.
    So just for fun, I hit those buttons, and lo and behold, I got awards for three of them I think. Surprised me totally.

So the last one is the DXCC and I have 15 left. If I get the "Unconfirmed" to load up, I'll have my DXCC with no problem.
    Might as well see this through, can't mow the lawn or ride the Indian.

6. N4AAB

Most of my QSOs are contests. Many unconfirmed.

7. AC2MM

Well, I got off about 10 emails so far.
    Some don't have email addresses, some don't use LOTW, some don't log at all.
    So I'm going to follow the advice of my friend.
    I don't respond to any CQ (on FT8) unless I look him up first and he uploads to LOTW per his bio. For USA contacts, I don't care. But I've wasted a lot of time on these really difficult entities to find out they don't upload to LOTW. Same as you guys.
    I'm going to at least complete this list of 18. Even if I get 10 guys that will upload, that's 10 closer to my DXCC.

Not a single one I've encountered yet says they upload to QRZ, so LOTW is my criteria.
    I think I know why. One guy apologized and uploaded to LOTW, and commented "At least they don't charge".

Whats "The bureau"?
    Some will say "QSL via the Bureau".

8. K7VZ

K7VZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

9. AC2MM

Thanks, K7VZ.

Things have been going well, I think.
    Out of the ten I sent so far, 6 have uploaded, one will when he gets back home, and another uploads everything next in June, whatever that means... I guess in bulk.
    Only one responded that they don't use LOTW.
    That ain't bad I think.

10. N4AAB

'next June' likely means thats the month he uploads his log.